The Milestone Birthday in 2 weeks

Without Prejudice

I am turning 60 in two weeks, I was born at 7.15 pm in Edinburgh at 7.15 pm. I am not happy about turning 60 as evryone gets shirty around a milestone birthday. It's a reminder of your mortality and the fact that you see old people and you think, yikes, that's going to be me in just 20 years. I like my oldies though. My Aunty Betty is 90 and as sharp as a tack. My Mum in Law is well and happy too. My Aunties, Aunt is 102 and in a nursing home in England which she loves.

Some of the elderly women I have met are some of the sanest, happiest women I have ever met, they're down to earth, call a spade a shovel and generally don't give a shit about what people think about them. I like one old lady who said once,
"Yep, all us 80 year olds get the order of the O.B.E. and when I asked had she really ??? She laughed and siad,
"The Over Bloody Eighty Club.", Cute !

I reallly liked the way they lived, not too many unhappy ones. And the wives and husbands so devoted.  Some of them were just lovely to watch in their interactions and the one I liked the best. The lady who had a husband who was bedridden and frail. I hardly saw him while I was there, he was always "resting". But one day she asked if I would like a coffee and then she clapped her hands and a look of sheer delight came over her face,

I'll make one for "Georgie", too.

I had to turn away from the light that shone, literally shone from her eyes. It was blinding and I thought, everyone should have some of that. Every person in the world should have someone that cares about you that much. I was humbled truly humbled.

But meanwhile I'm turning bloody 60 and I don't want to. I want to hang on to my last vestige of fifties before I tip head over heels into my 60's. I feel pretty good, I love my girls and they are all great women and great Mothers and I am so happy for them. I love ALL my grandkids and new great grand child with a passion that knows no bounds.

My day is made if I get a big cuddle from a naughty little two year called Cruz. With his big brown eyes and cheeky grin I am lost, transported to a better world. I get to see children growing every day and my child bearing days are over. And I get to hand them back, even better. Love you darlings but Nanny has to work now.

I get to teach, something I always wanted to do. I teach the grand daughters about girl stuff, boys stuff, inspiring them to travel, teaching them grammar and manners, saying always be yourself.

The boys I tell to not marry until they are 30 and have stopped being a boy. And if they can't keep everything zipped up, make sure they practice safe sex, (yeah right !) I don't have to tell them much. their Mum has 7 boys and is like Joy on My Name Is Earl, she tells her boys everything, and they are all literally terrified of her and that is as it should be, according to her.

I'm a lot more positive these days. I have just returned from a great time in Queensland with family and friends, the sun shone, warm breezes blew and I could write and write and write. I don't care if people read my stories or not, it's my stress release. It reminds me of past memories, warm memories of the 70's, 80's and then in the 90's the memories weren't so warm any more,

For 23 years I didn't write, not a thing, not  a sentence, not one word. I have always written from the time I could write. Stupid dumb stories at first and then better and I read everything I could get my hands on. I shamelessly copied Enid Blyton's style at first. And won money, then I was so homesick for Australia in the UK I wrote a mini novel all about Australia of course and I won a prize for that.

And then I went back to school at 32 and did V.C.E. and passed all subjects and won the English Prize of the year. I was so excited as I was just a Mum. And at 32 my whole life changed on the first day, as soon as I walked into the classroom I knew I'd pass and pass well. ( I get these little flashes sometimes. Not enough to be scary but just serendipity, A nice kerplunk from the Universe to keep me motivated.

What I saw as I walked into that classroom on that day was a flash out of the corner of my eye, a scene where I was walking across a stage and was being handed a certificate and a Prize. And a few months later that is exactly what happened. It didn't change my life in any enormous way but it was so satisfying to know that if I had stayed at school I would have passed 6th Form or Year 12. That was so important to me.

So at 60 I have the life I always wanted, surrounded by Family and friends, old and new. I help to look after a Family and that is the best thing that can happen to someone like me that just loves kids. I see that as my first job, as "Joy" likes back up if her Man is "elsewhere". And if she's happy then 7 boys are happy and it's not that hard to keep her happy.

I write stories in between the demands of the family and extended family, people with problems, people that need a hand up not a hand out, mostly relatives and friends that are facing cancer, illness, loneliness, relationship problems, weight issues, we are women and we help other women but not skanks. We have a no skank rule. Skanks ca't be trusted and all women know this.

Skanks try hard to get into the group but we reject most of them. We have to. We've been burned too many times by skanks and their "Guido" boyfriends. Skanks are not to be trusted around your man, your makeup or clothes. If you lend them something then you'll never ever see it again.. They also love themselves, show off really tacky inappropriate tattos and have bad hair.

They are angry with the world for some reason and take their unhappiness on everyone else, why they just don't realise they are skanks, is beyond me, but I think they have a little bit of a man in them. I know one with hairy nipples. Another that has orange peel skin. Another with bad acne. They can put all the makeup on in the world but it will never cover up their skankiness. They often drink, a lot and moan nothing is their fault.

They tell everyone about their sex lives not that we want to know, brag about their boyfriends, have crap jobs and hardly any ambition, unless it's to marry a rich man and never have to work at a crappy job again in their life. We are snobby women and look down on skanks.

We admire men who work hard for their families and do not call women derogatory names. We do not admire women that allow men to do so, nor hit kids, scare kids, all those silly women that any man will do around her kids. And if the kids don't like them, there's a reason apart from normal jealousy.

So I guess I'm proud of my life at 60. I've raised some great women, strong, loving, compassionate and funny, really funny. Everyone loves my girls and that makes me so proud. Some people 58,000 now like my stories. I've had a n offer for Publishing and hope I don't get too terrified over that thought. And want to reach out to others and help them to not have to go through some of the things, me and my girls have been through.

But also that they hold out hope, I don't care what men think that women have it all their way. They're just silly men, hurt men, unhappy men. Women, most women are just by their natures the nicer humans, more nurturing and caring.But the statistics of violence agianst women is not getting less. 98% of cases of domestic violence is against women and kids. It's a despicable silent crime and should be dragged out in to the light.

So I guess I be 60 in two weeks and it will be just like any other day but I'm still not happy about it and I shall put myself into a funk for weeks after. Goldie Hawn's 67, she looks 67 and I look 60. So I shall sulk and sulk and hopefully meet an older Latino man, a millionaire, who dies on our wedding night and leaves me all his money.



Love Janette







Popular Posts