Spring and Hay Fever

Without Prejudice


I stay indoors with windows and doors shut, forcing my self to work and work, inside. Every Spring I get the dreaded lurgy Hay Fever, which is the worst it has been in years. The weather forecaster tells us the pollen count is so high as we have had a very wet winter.

I was away in Queensland for most of it and didn't cough, sneeze or get gunk in my eyes for 3 months. But as soon as I stepped back into Victoria it starts all over again. The flu like symptoms and the cough, scabby eyes every morning. I take medication at night to sleep which is a simple antihistamine and the rest I just deal with. I put Paw Paw cream up my nose to trap the pollen before it gets to my sinuses.

I feel like I am underwater with burning eyes and blocked ears, chills and fever and an aching in my bones that wasn't there before. I hate taking nasal sprays and know they have a rebound effect. I wear a mask sometimes if I have to run out in the nippy morning air.

I admire the fressias covered in a mud bath from the two little terrorists, Acer, 4 and Cruz, 2. I get plenty of hugs and kisses covered in God knows what so I forgive them and replant them
Hugs and kisses are forever and freesias blossom once a year, filling the air with their heady perfume. I decide to plant them under the verandah as they can't be reached there as much.

Zach at 17 is off to his Hand Brake Turn course for the next 6 weeks every day. He loves it, so gentle, so shy and tall. Where is my blonde haired baby that made all the serious pronouncements in the Family. He's being taken by his older Brother who is off to work. They jump in the car and are gone. An Audi, the oldest one has traded, bought and bartered his way up to.

Zach has already been out to me as he has scratched a mole on his neck and it bleeds, so we put wound aid on it, Nanny Jay always has everything that is needed. A hug, an affirmation, a bandaid, a shoulder to cry on, a lift, a taxi, an ATM, a Teacher and mentor and friend and adoring accolyte. I love all my "boys", and my girls too. I count my blessings every day.

Seven springs they have spent at this house now. Kyan was a year old when they came here to Cranbourne East, or Upper, as we like to call it as it's close to Narre Warren South, Berwick and the better Suburbs. We can buy it now and the application is at last on it's way. It's a great house and will belong one day to the boys and their kids. I like that feeling of security for them.

I tidy out the front garden, 3 bins, green and blue and two garden bins. Check the plants in the rockery are taking off covered in fertiliser and all the weeds are sprayed and are dying. The shed I daubed with tarry stuff, last Autumn, shaken kneed on the ladder with the two little
 teerorists trying to shake it. It was hot then, a special day in Autumn last year of hot sun and no wind. 

I check the interior of the shed and see that my handiwork has worked and the shed
 is snug and dry. Kako stirs from her kennel, since Yvette and I cut her a piece of foam that she can't chew, maul or drag around the back garden, she stays in her kennel more. She's a husky but she 's a sooky la la. As her fur is coming off and blowing all over the yard like snow in summer, she resembles a fat ballerina. A ruffled tutu of fur. Kayko is female and acts exactly like one.

She acts like she is dying when she comes on heat and decides she likes male dogs, but not that much. She lies on her back groaning and panting and whining when she's on heat and drips discreetly
on to the concrete which Yvette and I hose off with a lot of tut tutting and sympathy. She's one weird dog, she hid under Jai's bed for months after our old German Shepherd died, Bonnie. We had to coax her out and she is so much better now but remains shy when visitors come.

I wouldn't have believed how much she has changed since Bonnie died. There is no such thing as "Just an animal", Kako has been almost human in her grief for her lost "Mother", partner, mentor, friend, enemy. She nudged her one time as Bonnie was dying, it was so touching, Kayko tried to make her drink one more time and whined when Bonnie collapsed.

She howls now every so often, just out of the blue and we were so right to not get a replacement while Kayko was grieving. It's been nearly a year and she plays now with the boys and seems like her old self again. But she won't go down the side of the house where Bonnie is buried and neither will Zach, Kyle, Brock, Jai, Kyan,. It's the way it is and Yvette won't either, so I know what ever I plant for Bonnie won't get damaged.

So Spring one of the loveliest seasons of all is both a blessing and a curse. But we make the most of the blessings and ignore or cream over the rest.


xxx
















Popular Posts