Single Mothers And Guns N Roses

Without Prejudice

I've been a single Mum for a long time. I was divorced in 1993  and even though it was something that was necessary it still felt weird. But I just filed the papers away somewhere, and plodded in with life. One foot placed in front of the other. I didn't see divorce as a failure, like some people do. I saw it as part of life.

I was married very young,17, and stayed married for 20 years. Marriage is daily. It's a choice you make daily whether to stay or go. There is always something else coming along or someone. And as long as you feel you have given your best there is no need to feel bad. It's a learning experience and as I had always wanted to have a big family, society dictated at that time I should be married.

Once I was a single Mum the toughest times of my life happened along, the most testing times. Having to work for the money so my kids could have a better life was the hardest. My kids, all girl teens at the time needed me more than ever but I had to juggle work and family. At least I didn't have to also out up with a bad tempered hubby as well. Just an ex.

I had to be on the ball at work, smart, efficient and then go home to disaster after disaster. I wish I could say it was character building but mainly it was exhausting, disheartening and not a life anyone would want to live. The girls were mainly out of control as they had just lost their baby Sister. They were ricocheting off walls and I was mainly just going through the very first stages of grief.

I had lost a child, a husband, a marriage, loss, loss, loss. And looking back I wonder now at how I kept going. The house was about to go, the only home the girls had known since the oldest two were babies. The cars were gone, the furniture was gone, the rich life style we had grown accustomed to. We sat in the floor and contemplated life, mourned for Lauren and only delighted in the baby, my first Grand Child.

To be continued...

Popular Posts