Skinny Girls Club----Maintenance

Without Prejudice













It takes a long time for your mind to catch up with your smaller body. In fact I believe you go through a major identity crisis at this time. It's been two years for me and I am still struggling with my smaller body. Not that I am complaining, mind, I am just saying it takes time.

I was reminded of this, just yesterday. I was op shopping for my bargains and two men were helping out in the shop. It's an old shop but a good one and I love it. I picked up a Perri Cutten coat and several pairs of new shoes for a dollar. I was in seventh heaven. The two men were sweeping and singing, much to the annoyance of the old dears who usually volunteer as attendants.

As I was examining the coats one of the men said,

" Excuse me " he was sweeping up with one of those long wide cloth mops and doing a very efficient job.

I laughed and moved forward into one of the packed with clothes racks.

He laughed and said,

" Lucky you are very slim"

" I used to be big " I answered, still shocked at him calling me slim. I had eaten breakfast that morning and as ever unless I am starving felt immediately fat. I realised at that moment I was automatically looking at bigger sizes.

" Slim and lovely " he replied.

" I might be slim, now but I don't know about lovely", I replied, remembering my snappy mouth.

"You look lovely to me " he said and I turned to look at him.

I stammered a reply and rushed into the dressing room, embarrassed.


I looked at my reflection. I always take my glasses off at this point. It's a habit of a lifetime. I can't bear to look at what I think is my body. I kept the glasses on and tried a vintage CUE dress on. Size 12. It fitted easily.

My big bust is usually a problem in dresses. Women need to have tits the size of poached eggs to fit into Vintage CUE. I decided I would take the dress, coat and shoes. I made sure they were medium heel as I was looking for work shoes.

I looked steadily at my flushed face,

" What was I embarrassed about ? " I wondered.

The old man had paid me a compliment and I was hiding in the dressing room. Was I nuts ?

I came out and the three old dears were lined up behind the counter, smiling. I looked at their expressions and they were odd. Almost worshipping, reverent. I realised they were happy for me getting a compliment. Time had not been kind to any of them, largely overweight and no make up, thinning hair.

I put my purchases on the counter and examined some vintage coffee cups on it. Hiding my head with my hair swinging forward.

One old dear said,

"Hallo Darling, "

"They are gorgeous aren't they? " indicating the gold coloured coffee cups.

" A lady was going to buy them yesterday, but didn't have the money"

I asked how much they were,

"50 cents, each"

I grabbed them and my bag of goodies and said goodbye.

"Bye bye, darling " they chorused.

Best customer service I have ever had. And on the drive home I wondered at why it is so hard to accept a compliment. Do we think if we do, we are "up" ourselves? I decided right then and there if someone compliments me from now on I am just going to say, thank you and nothing else. I deserve it, they don't have to say it, after all and it's churlish not to.


I also realised I had gone in to the shop feeling fat, ugly and old until I met fatter, older and really hard done by. I cheered up immediately. What do they say about walking a mile in my shoes. And I thought if my elegant Mum and my English Aunt and Scottish Aunts, who had and have stayed stylish, well into their nineties. Auntie Betty would rather die than be caught without her hair being done.

I am including a couple of photos, one of my Mum when she first came to Australia after the War and my lovely Aunty Betty who is still well and elegant at 91 and her aunt, my great aunt, Mary, is 103, just lovely.

Love Janette




Popular Posts