The House Of The Seven Dwarves

Without Prejudice





A girlfriend said to me a while ago that if she was in charge ( not that I am ) of seven dwarves, A.K.A. my seven grandsons, who I share a block of land with , she would back hand them out of bed. Hmmm, she doesn't have a good relationship with her grandkidsso I studiously ignore her. Mine, are mainly teens and as teens, grunt, sloth around and try not to wash and sleep a lot.

To be fair, three work, one is at school, one is 9 and also at school , one 4 and one is 2. They tend not to go out in the garden much in bad weather, thinking that they might melt in the rain. I wait patiently for them to attack the garden and when it doesn't happen, get fed up and do it myself. The only thing I haven't mastered is that pull thing on the mower. I could ask the studley, Michael next door but am too ashamed, so don't.

He tends to answer the door with just short shorts on , no shirt and I don't want to trigger a stroke or apoplexy after glimpsing his well muscled brown chest. He's a nice guy and I am sure would oblige but I am not going to ask. He and his mate John are in their early forties, drink a lot of stubbies on Friday nights with lots of female and male company and kids that bounce on the trampoline and swear a lot.

We keep the Molly coddled dwarves away from any rough house behaviour as they already are behind the eight ball with the Dad they have. S. the wonder druggie. We keep them away from him, as well, which he hates, but mainly has no idea as he is usually off his face somewhere. He tends to turn up on Christmas Eve, fling himself at the fly wire door a few times, yelling, but we just stay inside and ring the cops.

He's usually in the " Big House " most of the time, so we tend not to have to think about it a lot. He comes out, gets off his face, gets caught, goes back in, simple really. My daughter did take out an A.V.O on S. and it took 10 years to serve on him. We pulled the AVO thing last time he came and fingers crossed it seems to keep him away. I no longer worry about him being violent.

He once tried to take the nine year old off my daughter and she took him down, one armed, heavily pregnant with the 9 year old held away from him with the other hand. On the front nature strip with all the neighbours watching and not helping, of course. He cried that time and I felt quite sorry for him but he's annoying. When he was here a few times my daughter has no bother with what others think and the air turns blue with,

"Get the eff out of here, you effing junkie eff ,"

When she was younger she rushed out the door in just a bra and skirt, with a large knife and jumped in a cab to chase him, once. After that I sent her off to Queensland for a while to my Dads to help her get over him. She then had 4 more kids to him, making five, in the hope the boys would mature him and it didn't. He was caught once, pushing a stolen car across the border into Victoria, where he was wanted foe jumping bail.

So she is happy now, in her own " Big House " and I have a minuscule unit at the back of the Large back yard. When I first came here it took me three weeks and a hard rubbish day to get rid of the clutter from the yard. The grass was knee high, two dogs roamed the yard and pooped on top, and the side way was a rubbish tip.

I heard the other neighbour, Keith, who has been in his House forever and tended to be the neighbour Nazi, say to his Son,

" just chuck your stubby over the fence, it's a tip, anyway "

I was hanging out the washing and heard him and although incensed at his rudeness I knew he was right. The first hard rubbish covered the entire nature strip, eighteen feet long and five feet high, full. I did it all by myself with the boys conveniently disappearing every time I balefully glanced at the house.

I wanted it to look great for them and also for me as I am anal to the point of O.C.D. I hate clutter, I hate dirt, I hate mess. If I ever go into the big House I take my glasses off so I can't see. All those boys, the noise. I love them to bits, adore them all, but love my peace and quiet. And neatness. I had a big messy family and now I can have it all tidy I love it.

So we have had a week of rain, but today the sun shone, so to rid myself of cabin fever I was out in the garden early. I pulled weeds, attacked the overgrown plants, made a log border for the neighbours be gone trees, lost two finger nails, sliced a finger open, sprayed weeds, grabbed a shovel and cleared the dirt, slimy and brown under the trees.


Filled three bins, we have 3 of each, cranked open the shed and aired it out, climbed up on the roof and cleaned it off, dragged new stuff out for hard rubbish day, cleaned the front porch, and still had time to get to Bunnings and buy new plants for a little potted garden for the little boys. Tomorrow I will paint my porch and steps, contemplate the plan for a concrete backyard so I never ever have to pick up wet dog poo ever again.

I never ever liked to garden, now I love it.I even like mowing lawns, spraying weeds with my handy sprayer that I pinched out of the hard rubbish when the young lass was evicted from over the road. Well, it was only going to go to the tip. And the reason I love to do it? Two little boys, aged 4 and 2, who admire everything I do, who try to help and give me sticky kisses that I delight in. They deserve it.

So too does the slothy Husky who is on heat at the moment and lies on the concrete howling and giving me licks as I pat her and sympathise. She hates long wet grass, and I have to keep it short for her and the muscled up grumpy cat, Nick, who as soon as I cleared the weeds, chose his spot right near the catnip, which he now could actually see and smell.

And once the bigger dwarves are home from the salt mines, they stream out of the house and greet me and chat. And I must remember to give them a back hander every so often to just keep them in line lol


Love Janette. The Nanny x

Popular Posts