Two---Sexy Bastard

Without Prejudice


The house was a breath of fresh air to me. I had wanted for so long to be on my own and at last I was. The house had three bedrooms, a family room and a huge kitchen and lounge room. It sat in a quiet street in Noble Park, just a few doors up lived my brothers oldest friend, Ivan Munchin. I have known Ivan since he was 19 and best friends with my older brother.

Ivan is a live wire and never stops, talking, drinking or smoking, calls all women chicky babes and wonders why he doesn't get any. He is one of the most impatient men I have ever met. Once he was going down a hill in Rowville and the two lanes of traffic were lined up and Ivan in his wisdom decided in his haste to go between them in his old EH.

Not only did he scratch every car on his mental travel down the hill, he also pushed all his door handles in.
That's Ivan.
 I gave him a wide berth at first as I just wanted to settle in and when SB asked how I had settled in, I replied
"I danced around the lounge room, last night"
SB: "Clothed?"
Me: "Mostly"

I loved the house, just loved it to bits. It was a 70's retro style of house with the original holland blind in the laundry I had had in Keysborough. A blind of busy oranges, greens and white in colour with kettles and tea pots as the design. the laundry was massive, my few possesions looked swallowed up in there. Cost me once again a fortune to get my furniture moved but I was so contented I didn't care.

It was only minutes from work and I was so glad of that as I hate to commute and the commute I had been doing was sometimes and hour and a half at night time. I realised it was my 36th move since Lauren had died and I had moved States twice. I never seemed to settle anywhere and I knew that was because I was "running".

The grief tapes I had listened to mentioned the term "running", and I was 'running' from the pain, "running from the past, "running" from dealing with the full awful impact of death.

I loved the stillness of the house, the peace and quiet, the one thing I had longed for when I was married and had little kids. I could never find it at Parkland Court, Keysborough and I realised at long last I would have to face my past. But I also faced my future with SB and that was going to change my life, every fibre of my being from then on.

To be continued

Popular Posts