The Biggest Job

Without Prejudice

It begins as any other day, groundhog day. Clean up the kids messes and start again. Today three of the boys are working and are staying with their older brother, Kyle, who's twenty second birthday it is.

The day is going to be a hot one, so we make sure the shades are up and the big fat white grieving husky is OK. Today she seems to be running around a little instead of skulking in her kennel.

We wonder at the instinct of dogs and I ring my Sis in Law, Kerrie to find out how long a dog grieves. She's from the counrty and is full of good down to earth advice. I tell her of the husky lying immobile under the bed and she says she's just grieving.

Ever since Bonnie, our german shepard died of old age her constant companion Kayko, the husky is sad. Every day for the last month, she has drooped and whined and hidden under beds as if thunder is about to roll.

We decided to just let her come good in her own time and take her for walks and pat her and pay her heaps of attention. Nothing works and we just allow her to grieve.

Bonnies old toys lie under my front steps and sometimes Kayko just goes there and lies there, immovable. It's so touching and so very sad.

I move through the house of boys, picking and pecking and bending over and scooping up junk food wrappers and drink bottles. What is it with these boys and drinks??

The lounge room needs to be readied for Christmas and I vow to get mine up by the end of the day. Wanting the little boys to see the lights and the magic.

We take care of 7 boys, count them 7. And just because the oldest is moved away we still "Mother" him, like the faithful devoted little mothers we are. Children are great and little buggers at times, relentless as Yvette's doctor explained to her once.

Cruz is one and walking everywhere and thinks he is as old as Acer, who is 3. Cruz is the most magic baby, smiling and hugging and wants "up", a lot of the time.

He loves to be outside and we check all the areas so he can play safely. we prise little things out of his mouth, he so determined to not let go.

He is surprisingly old for his age and acts like he was born walking and detemined to play with what he wants, which is usually the contents of a drawer or cupboard or the bathroom, he loves the bathroom.

Acer is a demented three year old who is intent on destroying or breaking everything, but is starting to get more sensible as we struggle to make him understand and try to get him in a routine.

Yvette more patient and me Miss Perfection, who wants everything her way.

Kyle calls in to pick up "his girl", Mladenka, who is glowing with 17 weeks of pregnancy. Hers is a terrible story of abuse since a child and we helped her escape home this year.

She is loving her life right now and I think back to 12 months ago and say a little prayer of thanks for her release and our part in it, rescuing her. She glows with love and contentment.

Kyle has urgent things to do, as ever and we promise to help. A car stuck in Queensland, his, stolen, and is now found but all the way up in Nerang Qld. He wants us to sort it out as his time is so limited.

And I think back to where he was 12 months ago and shudder. he now working full time and has been for ages, working all the hours he can, and now drives an Audi, something and still wants the other car back.

He agitates and we get him out of the house and then start dealing with the rest. Even though three at work this week and with Kyle for the week we still have 4 left.

The logistics are incredible and we struggle with it at times, the washing, the folding, the finding of places to put things. Yvette loves to keep things and is a border line hoarder. Two of the four at school today and that has to be done, finding shoes, socks and bags and they are gone.

Then it's just us and the babies, the three year old and the one year old. We work all day and sit together for morning tea and lunch, putting the babies down for a sleep at the same time every day.

Acer hates it and Yvette puts on a Garfield Movie which amuses him. We always have a cooked lunch and determine to have "time out" and watch Dr Phil, tut tutting at peoples problems.

There are mountains of dishes as the boys sneak food and drinks into their rooms. Yvette has to eat as she "forgets" to eat sometimes and she needs to gain some weight.

The weather changes in Melbourne all the time and we have to change the outside toys and the kids clothes accordingly. Sometimes the heater humming and within hours the air conditioner goes on.

It takes all day to just play with and look after the 2 little terrors, wiping noses and delivering panadol for teething and grizzling. The boys are out and then in and Yvette smiles indulgently, nothing can put her in a better mood than her babies.

I move mountains of clothes and I swear to God, Yvette has clothes that were hers from 20 years ago and still fit her. They all have to be saved and I find a "Witchy Poo" boot that she has been looking for the last six months.

It lies there found and I put it in her room, which needs decluttering but I will wait until she is out of the house. Otherwise everything I throw out she will drag back in.

She loves stuff the boys have all worn and one denim waisted acid wash jacket has been on them all. It's dated now but Yvette loves it.

She wants to frame it, along with a tiny pair of "Toy Story" undies that are so cute and I have mended them. I do all the mending and washing and a lot of the folding and I feel like at times I will drown in clothes.

I have tidied the shed so I find the Christmas trees (3 of) easily and the decorations on them already, doing what my sister recommended. Putting a large black bin bag over the whole thing and storing it away.

I go out and buy new lights and then find my old ones and decide to put my tree up early as I do with Yvette's. She determined to marry in 12 months, Acer and Cruz's dad, Peter. He is only young and doesn't live here. But they want to sort out all their problems and get married.

He's had a bad 12 months and lost his dad and his Mum developed cancer which she is having treatment for. He lives with his family and Yvette would like him to be with her and the boys but at the moment it's impossible.

So we do what we can. I buy my lights for the tree. everything is so cheap this year, and I buy a pair of size 12 jeans for $8.00. reduced from $29. Ah bliss, they fit and they are a bargain.

I have lost a good 10 kilos in the last few months and it feels good and I have boundless energy. The jeans fit so well ans I am so proud of my self.

The house gleams and Yvette still thinks we are living in poverty and I ask her in what way we are underprivileged. We have money and possesions and everything is paid for and we owe nothing.

Thats a good thing and this weekend we have a fridge and more furniture coming. we are very blessed, really. A life raising 7 boys ro manhood a very worthwhile thing. We want them to be strong, manly and decent hard working males. That's not too much to ask from "sullen teens" is it?

They think it is but we have asked them all to "Raise their standards" and Jai does and Zach 16, and Brock 15 have to be warned and put in touch with career counsellors. Zach wanting to be a policeman and has reading dyslexia and we know he has picked up his game.

Brock remains a worry as he "hates" everyone and everything and we can't reach him, an emo at 15. He is wrapped up in his own world and Kyle remains resolute that he can help him.

But Kyle has his own family about to happen in 6 months or so and he needs to focus on work and baby coming. We make all the phone calls and take them as well.

Yvette is busy looking at bridesmaids dresses and wedding dresses and if she is doing that she is content and happy. We finish all the work and I go inside to my unit, take a sleeper and fall asleep exhausted.

Tomorrow it starts all over again. When I think back to working at the office I realise I was sitting on my bum 40 hours a week and now I can race around and stay healthy. I can do whatever I want now a days and I love it.



Love Janette

Popular Posts