Tegan

Without Prejudice

She gazes at me with her myopic eyes, so like mine from an earlier age, luminous and glowing. I could look into her eyes for ever but she doesn't like to take her glasses off. Alena cried when she knew Tegan had to wear glasses thinking of my Sister Helen, with her bottle bottom glasses and over weight.

Well one thing Tegan didn't inherit from the Brucks is her natural born skinniness, maybe from the Hancock side. And these days Helen, my overweight sis has had a massive reduction in body weight and wears contact lenses and is A Nursing Manager at Caboolture Hospital and is doing very nicely, thank you.

I can't imagine Tegan without her glasses these days and it earned her a place in The Berry Street Catalogue 2010 and 2011. One red head, Ginger Meggs kids, Jai ( my Grandson) and One grand daughter in plaits (my grand daughter, Georgie) and Tegan grin out as little Aussies from the Herald Sun Ad for Australia Day 2010.

I was so proud I thought I would burst. Tegan was born with lush black hair and by the time she was 15 months it hung down her back in fat ringlets. A stunning child. She is also Alena, my youngest daughters most sensitive child.

She dreams and is psychic and thinks of others and we think of Lauren when we are with her, a lot. She has that same care of others that Lauren had. The same gift giving and letter and poems writing. She has always worked at getting along with Jai, as he has ADHD and she has for years been able to calm and motivate him.

Their friendship is lifelong and they both draw sustenance from it. She willed on by his energy and he likes her calming ways.

I never thought about long term effects on the children re their cousin connections but it is great and a source of comfort to all. Jade palling up with Zachary and that is as soon as they were able to talk. Well, Jade spoke mostly and Zach admired her quietly and steadfastly and she remains one of his favourite people to "hang" with.

Jade gets along with her oldest cousin Kyle as well and so does Ashleigh and Georgia from My oldest daughters family, Deborah. But the situation between Jai and Tegan is so mutually friendly and good for each other, they also"hang" a lot together.

Yvette and I raise 7 boys together aged from 22 to 1 years old, all male and all different and we do it as a job. She and I sharing the taxiing and taking to school, and the paperwork, imagine all the cousins except for Ashleigh and Georgia go to the same school. And Alena is so on the ball all the time we know every detail happening and then some.

The amount of paperwork having 4 at school and one about to start kindy has to be seen to be believed and just today I said to Yvette,

"Deal with a piece of paper once and once only"

She would prefer to keep it as she loves to collect and I hate it and we remain the "Odd Couple", me the meticulous tidy Virgo and Yvette the "couldn't care less, Scorpio.

She patiently Mothers and I clean and wash and vac and scrub baths and I am sure my nickname should be Cinderella  but I do leave all the changing of nappies of the brown variety to her.

Except for when the girls, Tegan and Tiana (I used to call them thing one and thing two from the Dr Suess book, the Cat in the Hat) come over and then they do all the mothering for the entire family.

Like two little whirling dervishes they would come when tiny and run around and around. Now they so calm and strong and grown up, like proper little ladies.

My older sister, Jackie, visiting from Qld and they arrived never having met her and surrounded her, hugging at her knees and kissing her and she was charmed. They so sweet in their little "rashies" and sandals.

They are growing up now, Tegan turning 13 and Tiana 11, and I want them back my naughty babies and can't believe that Rhianna and Chris Brown, Justin Beiber are taking over their minds and fashion.

I want back my myopic angel and my fierce little Tiana, who gave no quarter at school and help and out manoeuvre bullies at school in case they go near the boy, "Cuzzies".

It seems the girls tougher than the boys, not that we will tell them. Actually the reverse has applied in the past where the boys protect the girls, acting as Chaperones at parties and male company when a girl needs to look popular.

We have family parties and all the kids get along and some of the parents, luckily. Tegan is one of my heart children and I think I am the most blessed woman on earth to be allowed to adore all of them,



Love you Tegan,

Love Nana Janette

Popular Posts