Skinny Girls Club, Allow Yourself To Cheat

Without Prejudice

The full saying is

"Allow yourself to cheat, just don't go overboard"

I cheated after a while on a very strict diet. You will find you are compelled to or go mad. I lost the initial weight and was at first surprised. As I have said before I came home from Camp Eden and ground nuts and did all the healthy things, walked every day and nothing changed, nothing, not one ounce came off.

I ground my teeth and one day in sheer frustration just crossed to the kitchen window and raised my arms and spoke to God, the higher intelligence, Buddha, whatever. And said,

"God if you are out there I am surrendering it all to you ? If I am meant to be fat and unhealthy then I'm looking for a sign " I was totally frustrated and enraged.

I stomped back to my computer and sat down and began to write. And write and write some more. I had no job, no money, no life, no weight loss, no nothing. The old dog had died, a young friend had died, leaving three young kids, and it was still cold, when Qld had been so hot. The grass was wet and long and every time I looked at it felt like it was going to suck me under.

We buried, the old dog, Bonnie under my bedroom window with many tears, deep,  so that the Husky wouldn't dig her up. She, Keyko went then and hid under a bed for three months, grieving for her substitute Mother, friend, Sister. Old dogs die magnificently, with such dignity and realisation that it simply breaks your heart. Bonnie was always a noble dog but was breathtakingly beautiful as she was dying.

And so was Keyko, nudging her old friend when she collapsed at the end, wanting her to get up. Willing her to get up. It was awful.

So in that frame of mind I began to write, and as I did, I ate fruit. Only fruit, a glass of water, a cup of coffee, I would begin at 7am and stop at 2pm. My brain fried, my back aching, and then I would eat dry biscuits, Cruskits, Jatz crackers, some protein like cheese or tuna and tomatoes or cucumber.

I would make myself sit and eat it, enjoy every mouthful. It had to look sumptuous. Then read, relax, make sure at 4.30 I sat and watched The Bold And The Beautiful and have one piece of chocolate and a cup of tea. A normal sized dinner with lots of veggies and maybe a low fat yoghurt, some home made pita chips, and go to bed early.

And after only only a few weeks I felt thinner. I asked the fat phobic child and she said she thought so and then my oldest Grandson came over and said,

" Hey, you look good, Nana "

I had to get him to take a photo as I could not get my head around that I had lost weight. It didnt seem real. Then I had to face my biggest fear, new found attention from men. I still felt invisible as I had for years but suddenly I was getting wolf whistles and other attentions. I didn't realise how much I had missed it.

And how much it would concern me. But I faced it as Im at least brave if not confrontational. Yvette is, the fat phobic one and has no bother with it, rarely cries, except when old dogs and young sister in laws die. She is confrontational enough for Australia and I live behind her. So she learns stuff from me and I learn stuff from her. It's quite good and we have learned after 3 years to leave each other the hell alone except when we need each other.

In two years, another few good people have gone to God, Vicky, Peter, Yvettes new partner's Mum to cancer, his Father died suddenly the year before. Both only in their fifties. Both really nice people. At least we are sure they are together now and happy. Leaving Peter and his sisters orphans, so young.

We had all the normal problems of every big family and coped as you do.

After six months I did cheat and it began with chocolate fudge, home made chocolate fudge. I now can't even look at a piece without feeling nauseated. I just went with what my body told me. I sometimes craved green beans and I loathe them. But crave them I did, raw, snappy, fresh. Sometimes a warm runny egg on a sandwich. Now I don't miss bread at all and rarely eat it as I found it bloated my belly for some reason.

I never have soft drink, only water, do have a little butter, but not a lot. I craved Muesli for a week with skim milk. Don't have a lot of red meat, nor roasted in fat anything. I make up low fat recipes as I go along, just substituting low fat milk for high fat. That's it, it's easy and trust me if I can do it, anyone can.

I hate gyms so dance at home and clean. Love cleaning. My metabolism has settled down now and after two years is steady. At first it was like a race horses. And I am still the same size as I was when I lost the initial weight and I secretly love it. Love my new healthy body, but I still cheat every so often, have that ice cream or piece of chocolate. But it's instead of and not as well as.

Cheating is O K, just don't over do it


Love Nette x



Popular Posts