Alpha Female Daughter-----The Teen Years

Without Prejudice



My daughter Deborah Michelle top, far left..


Well she was, is and will always be an Alpha Female, much to my shock. I always thought as a little girl she would be shy, retiring, brainy, nerdy. Not a chance.

At about 12 she decided to grow and grow, I could actually see her growing, long strong limbs, she shot up overnight. She developed growing pains in her legs and was often in pain but she just kept on growing until she was as tall as her Father and complained that she would never get men taller than her or could never wear heels.

At that time she became an alpha female, strong, driven, ambitious. She started being able to go to the races at 13 and clubs like Lazers and pubs like The Sandown, we lived in Keysborough in those days, we were there for twenty years and it was the only house she ever lived in until 19. We were fairly well off and she and the other girls grew up affluent and privileged.

They went to Mentone Girls Grammar School for a time but then we sent them locally and they were picked up and dropped off by taxi. My husband and I ran a business and all our time and energy went in to the Business. In the mid eighties it was like we had a licence to print money even though we were in a recession that we were meant have. The girls had an in ground pool, sauna, spa, horse, a Father that drove a Ferrari or a 1971 G.T. I drove a Limited Edition Jeep Cherokee.

Deb was the oldest of our four girls, I had 4 in six years and was 18 when I had her, nowadays I feel like her older Sister but I was a teenage Mum, having her younger Sister, Yvette, 11 months and 3 weeks after Debbie was born. I always wanted a Deborah, so I could call her Deb, that and T. Rex's song Deborah was a big influence.

I still can't believe I am the Mother of forty year olds.

Once she started high school she was already her own person, knew exactly what she wanted and how to get it. She volunteered her time the first year of high school to help a brain damaged child in Dingley, walking from Coomoora Hugh School to Dingley and sometimes home every day after school. She was just one of those kids, good at school, grown up before her time, responsible
. She had been baby sitting her younger sisters from 9 years old. And they drove her crazy.


So somewhere along the way she became a Alpha Female and was able to stand up to anyone, even her bad tempered Dad. She was able to look at him in the eye. She invited him to hit her once rather than me and he went to and then backed down. She asked me why after, and I said he only hit people that were smaller than him. She smiled at that...

I left my Husband in the middle of the night, when she was 12, packed the girls in the car and drove to Queensland. I had had enough of his bad temper, his friends, his violence and big noting of himself. Deb was handing me black coffees and lighting my cigarettes on the way up the Cahill Expressway, I drove all the way with the feeling he was right behind me, like a stalking Terminator.

She excelled at School up there. But we had to come back as ever, I felt like I had been leaving him since day one. Leaving, coming back, leaving, coming back. A Merry Go Round I never thought I could get off. He took Yvette that time and wouldn't give her back unless I came home.

At 14 she was working after school, every day at a local dentists,  bought her own clothes, all the best stuff, Cue, Jag, and at 15 started at McDonalds and kept the dentist job as well. She also had cut an article out of a magazine and began a little side line Business in fake I.D.s which she sold to other kids at school.

She was popular, funny and totally outrageous like me. She worked hard, exercised hard and was as impatient as I was and still is, we both struggle with it. I went back to School at 32 and gained my V.C.E. and went to Uni, to complete a Bachelor of Education, secondary. Deb went on to do Year 12 but from day one didn't want to do it and told her Father and I so. As expected she didn't pass, so she just copied my Year 12 pass and altered all the details. She was quite the expert at faking I.D.'s by then.








Popular Posts