Neil Young, The Band and Metallica

Without Prejudice




I picked up some old magazines today, thinking one was very old as it had Neil Young on the cover and an article about The Band. I read it from cover to cover as I love both. The Band was part of my growing up as was Neil Young, their sound distinctive and legendary. Metalluca came later when they did a cover of Bob Segers, Turn The Page.

Who can forget the Summer of Bob Segers Night Moves album ? We played it endlessly, it followed other Summers of Bat Out Of Hell, by Meatloaf, Linda Ronstadts beautiful album Simple Dreams, Dire Straits The Sultans of Swing, The Eagles Hotel California. The summers full of kids and hose fights to cool us all down, running around the house in Keysborough like demented Indians, war whooping and laughing, breathless.

Sky Hooks was a stand out too, Living In The 70's. Countdown was on the TV, the Rank Arena that was a solid piece of furniture parked in a corner in the lounge room with its trendy green curtains and Rinnai Heater. We went to see Dolly Parton, Demus Roussos, Pink Floyd, twice, with the Floyd Droids and the pig and the bed sliding across the roof. Most spectacular concert we ever went to.

We saw Dire Straits live and Bob Dylan sauntered on to the stage and sang raw and raspy. Yvette was known to comment the concert was good except for The Old Fart that couldn't sing, little Heathen. She was only about 14 then so we had to forgive her, my older brother would have been appalled. Although he was appalled that most of the Artists were on drugs then or the songs wouldn't have been written. Did he really have no idea ?

The first artist I saw in Australia, after returning from the U.K. Was Jose Feluciano, what a concert that was. My muso Dad took me to concerts and clubs in the U.K. And we saw Roy Orbison, Louis Armstrong, Shirley Bassey, I was only 15 and thrilled to bits. I also saw Dad and my Sister Jackie play, and sang along in the background, pounding on a Tambourine, like a demented Salvation Army soldier. It was the 60's after all and flowers, hippies and The Moody Blues abounded.

Music flows in my veins like my blood. I was brought up on it, taught to appreciate it, listen to the phrasing, listen to the chord changes, and study it. My Dad still taped Rage on Saturday nights until he died, at 76. He liked all music, and appreciated all from Ella Fitzgerald to Billy Idol and Prince. He took me to see The Phantom the year before he died. I had just lost a child as had he, many years before.

We sat together, one last time, listening to the music, and told me to listen to this bit, or that bit and I was once again a little girl of five, listening to music with my Daddy by my side. Sat in front of the record player with its arm that clicked down, a needle at the end. We listened to Perry Como and Frank Sinatra then, Tennesee Ernie Ford, Connie Francis and Johnny Ray. There were funny songs for us kids, one little two little three little Indians and my little brother would race around the kitchen in a circle every time it came on.

I saw Robert Palmer in concert when I was a young Mum and his song of Johnny and Mary was the story of my marriage in song.

Johnny's always running around trying to find certainty.

He needs all the world to confirm that he ain't lonely.

Mary counts the walls.....

You get the idea.!

We had Summers of Kris Kristofferson and Johnny Cash, Melanie, lighting her Candles In The Wind, and Alexander Beetle running away. We had Tea for The Tillerman with Cat Stevens and Ted Mulry, when we were single and going to Portsea back beach and Mandalay, the farm. I was 16 and he was 21, my brother who roomed with us, 18. We loved our music. The first albums I bought in Myers Chadstone where I worked was The Rolling Stones and Dylan, the one with Subterranean Homesick Blues on.

Metallica was loved by my second oldest child, I had no idea how good they were until I heard Turn The Page and Enter Sandman, she kept trying to tell me about some dude called Ozzie Osbourne, and
I didn't connect him at first to Black Sabbath, my younger brothers favourite band. That and Deep Purple. Status Quo was also a fave and they I had heard in the U.K., along with Amen Corner, Chris Farlowe, The Herd, The Who and Traffic with Steve Winwood. Saturday afternoons at The Mecca in Wakefield.

So after an afternoon of nostalgia in music and reading, thinking of Rust Never Sleeps and the writing if Robbie Robertson from the Band, I looked at the spine of the magazine. What year had it come from ? June 2012, one year ago. I was shocked. But then when I thought about it I guessed that the modern music of House Music,was not worth writing about and if that makes me an old fart, so be it.

Love Janette x



Popular Posts