Skinny Girls Club ----Knock, Knock, Knocking On Heavens Door

Without Prejudice

When I was at Camp Eden the Life Coach asked if we ever heard a knock knock type of message coming from the Universe. I was slumped back in my comfy bean bag, warmed up with a wooly blanket, one eye on the door and one eye on the clock.

I was at that time probably the most cynical person there. Many others had been before, many were open to suggestion and had one on ones with the life coach. He was a great guy, had hit rock bottom in his life at 50, was addicted to Coke, and not of the beverage kind, a high flying ad man who drank, was fat, stressed out and lost the lot, lost his grip.

He then had to turn his life around, started doing Yoga, met his wife, she was the Yoga instructor, read everything he could on healing and life coaching, and moved to Queensland, The gorgeous Gold Coast and completely turned his life around. He was fit, slim and tanned and seemed to wear a permanent grin. Everyone listened worshipfully, except me, of course.

I thought at that stage in my life, I knew it all. I was the only one there that had been given the time at Camp Eden as a gift. The others had gone there in desperation. One Man, a lovely sweet natured Latino, was struggling with his second bout of stomach cancer. A young guy had been the victim of  a violent home invasion, robbery.

One young Mum, who looked like a Brighton socialite along with her stretch Lycra gym outfit and seemed totally wired the whole time, had tried to commit suicide three days before at home and booked herself into Camp Eden the next day. She was addicted to every drug known to man. She had 3 little boys and a loving husband. I couldn't stand her. Thought she was a selfish attention seeking cow, to be exact. But then I wasn't thinking of her, I was thinking of those poor kids.

Another beautiful naturally healthy girl I shared a room with was depressed. 32 and married and bought a house with hubby and he moved out six months later, but had kept her hanging on for 12 months as he wasnt sure he wanted to be married. They had only been married two years.
She couldn't move on with her life. She was lovely looking, tall, fit and went to bed early in the room and I am a night owl. She was so healthy and sweet and Night after night I wanted to stab her with my complimentary pen as she slept so soundly and so easily.

I would be there savaging the 500 count Egyptian sheets and downy pillows, with my tossing and turning and being simply selfish. I was kind to her though during the day and squirrelled it out of her that she had depression. She was shy about it as if it were shameful, poor baby, and cried and I out my arms around her and told her to dump him. She wanted kids and I told her better not to have them to him, if he was bolting at marriage what did she think was going to have when the pressure of children was added to the mix.

I was there as a special guest and these people had taken out loans and money out of their Superannuation, to be able to go. Hence I had no problems and they were a bunch of mixed up fuck heads. Nothing wrong with me. I was there under sufferance I kept telling myself,  and tended to either look down on them or keep away from them. I'm not a big one for spending time with strangers and fucked up ones ? Who needs it ?

I was the first to go through withdrawal, ( from coffee, my brother who had been the year before, fed me strong expressos up to the point I went ) he's a brother, what can I say ? So I went through withdrawal inside of six hours on the first day. A savage migraine, not a wink of sleep, hence the wanting to stab my roomie with a pen. The next morning I was weeping and if there had been mobile reception I would have rung up my smart arsed brother and begged him to come and get me.

Anyway long story, short, I went through the withdrawal and was ready to laugh when everyone else in the group went through it on the third day which is the normal. They were crying, the worst, the ones that decided to go cold turkey from smoking. They were savage. Alcohol withdrawal was painful to watch as well and some just go through withdrawal from the outside world and the change in diet.

But a word of warning, everyone goes through it.

So back to the best life coaching I have ever had in my life. We were being asked about knock knock knocking from the Universe. It's those little things that seem to keep cropping up in your life until you finally turn around and do something about it. I have often thought of those words in the two years since I was there. You can call it Serendipity if its good stuff or damn fate if its bad. But usually, it's a warning for you to take heed.

I feel, hear and see knock knocks all the time now. I find if I don't do something about it I will regret it. It's like living in the moment, enjoying your life as it is, the destination not being the be all and end all, taking time to live, just live, just be, let it be, be more patient, be more wise. I don't want you to think I have gone all soft and new age on you, but I am happier, I am wiser, I am nicer, more contented, more in love with my life than ever before.

I listen now, my brothers were always telling me I didn't listen. Now I do. I want to be with other people and share and love and communicate knowledge, instead of lecturing, teach. Apart from always wanting to write, I always wanted to teach. I used to lecture or be passive aggressive or clever enough to do reverse psychology.

Now I just tell it like it is and if you want to hear it, you will from me. So many good things have happened, so many joyful moments and less terrible moments. And I listen to the knock knocks of life and change or adapt or put them in my memory bank until the solution I am looking for " Pops" into my brain. May you also have the privilege to hear the knock knocks in your life and if you do, take heed, it may just The Universe reaching out to you.

Love Janette

Popular Posts