Getting Down And Getting Dirty

Without Prejudice


My brother George and I at my younger brother David's wedding



On the weekends I love to get down and get dirty. I wear disgusting old clothes and get out in the yard. It's winter and there is mud everywhere. I strip off all my makeup, take off my bra (heaven) and support my bust with a stretchy tee. Then I rub loads of cocoa butter into my skin and go weed, strip, feed, clean up all the gunk and rubbish, the seven dwarves and two dogs have created.

I love it. It allows the Tomboy in me to come back. There is no sense in even wearing jeans in winter as the new German Sheperd pup will fling herself at me with joy and cover my clothes in dirty paw prints. And the paw prints are greasy for some reason and hard to remove. She is a big pup, almost a dog and we rescued her from certain death, a week ago.

The dwarves love her and walk and feed her and I clean up her messes. Eeeeeeuw. We have put her on dry food as the first time she wriggled her way into the house she had a messy accident which meant we had to remove the rug. Why do dogs poo so much. I clean it up and have to do it every day as the two little man cubs are 4 and 2 and like to run in the yard. And we don't want them running in dog poo.

If you really want to see a grumpy woman, meet her in Winter and on a weekend, when she has a unit full of wet washing and has a new pup in the mud bath yard. Nothing pisses a woman off more than not being able to get washing dry. The mother of the Dwarves, Snow White has a dryer and is a 1,000 in credit on her electricity bill so doesn't give a damn. I do, as I am old fashioned and like clothes to dry in the open air.

Plus I'm cheap, being born in Scotland, no Im not really but I am careful about my carbon footprints. Or my mud foot prints. I have walls covered in mud, the porch is covered in mud. Last night I hadn't blocked the pup off properly and she destroyed my mini garden of potting mix and dirt, depositing it on the welcome mat in a big mound. I just opened the door and shut it again quickly, sighed a lot and went to bed, too buggered to do anything about it.

I just swept it up this morning, and hosed it all off. She had chewed on the hose fitting but it still worked and I left it connected, reminder to self, drag out the brass hose fittings. She is flinging herself at the gate as I hose as I am cooking silverside, onions, cabbage, carrots, cloves and apple, then I'll have fresh peas and home made mustard sace. She can smell it off course and wants it badly, not a chance.

In Summer it will all be so much better and we will line the courtyard with Lilydale Topping, Yuccas and a water feature. At the moment it's covered in said rug, cardboard, so that we can control the mud a little. It could be concreted but concrete is such an unfriendly surface for the small boys. And the dogs and Lilydale Topping, although, so seventies in style is a great path surface and courtyard surface. Sleepers for one end with pebbles and Yuccas, nice and maintenance free.

Trees are planted in the backyard proper and when this Pup grows she and the sloth husky will have shade and rich green grass to lie on. And poop on, and the boys play slip and slide on the grass, run under the hose hooked over the Hills Hoist. Love Summer. People are happier, the winter weather, rain, sleet, hail, frost, gone. Clothes dry in a morning and there is no mud. Roll on xoxo


Popular Posts