Baby Boomers And A New Phone

Without Prejudice

A week ago I acquired a new phone. I tried to keep my old number but unhappily due to bad Optus service it was not to be. And I told them off, calmly and politely, there may have been a terse voice , from me but I really hate bad customer Service. The number I was told to dial to connect had no option to speak to a person. My three phone network was finishing on the 30.08.2013 and I could no longer activate a recharge. Great !

So After about half an hour I just kept pushing 1 and finally eventually, ad nauseum, was able to speak to a person. Thank God I did NOT  buy a recharge. The young Indian lady said I could keep my old number and activate my new Optus Sim. Fantastic. I was told to turn off my phone, and wait 2.5 hours and then turn back on. No service. So I waited, and waited, checked for two days.

Rang back Optus, lovely young Indian man, no problem, would email me if there was a problem. Two days still no service. Hmmmmmmm.

Rang back again, spoke to another lovely young Indian man, he asked had I tried to access my sim on line. When I said yes, he was overjoyed. It was my fault apparently. I told him I had made TWO phone calls prior to trying to go online, as suggested so many times by the other two lovely young Indian people. And their recorded menu that you cannot get through on.

Too bad was his suggestion, it's locked now, ERROR was on his screen, my fault. Go buy another sim, was his suggestion.

" Now, stop, look, listen, ( My sister Jackie's favourite saying when she ticks  someone off ).

" This is the worst customer service I have ever had. I would hate to be an elderly person trying to access your service. Not only is it almost impossible to speak to someone but I had to put up with an interminable menu of your products, suggestions I go on line and more . What if I didn't have a computer, we have a huge ageing population. Most of those people did not grow up in a computer, on line age."

" Mmmmmm," he answered.

" The sim cost me $2.00, not a lot of money, but you have made no suggestion I am entitled to recompense from your company, you have just made me an unhappy consumer and I will tell all my friends and family, you, Optus, are a rotten company. "

"Mmmmmmm," he answered.

So I hung up and went out and bought a whole new phone, my old one was a dinosaur. Now I have a camera phone, at least. Progress. But I would have liked to keep my old number.

Not to worry, my new phone is delightful, I had no problem activating with Vodaphone.

Just had to learn how to work it. Sent messages to let people my new phone number, all good, except for my Sister In Law who replied, another number ? She had her same mobile number for 25 years. I gnashed my teeth for a while.

I had to relearn a whole new way of texting. Struggled with that for a few hours. I am pretty tech savvy, but couldn't work out the predictive text part, kept changing the menu back and forth, sent out a few messages that said mmmmothyfj or whatever.

And then, finally, being an imperfect woman, consulted the booklet that came with the ohone, success at long last ! So if you are trying to call me in my old number, don't bother. My second oldest daughter was happy to take it, warts and all. She tends to answer the phone with a gruff, yeah, so should be interesting. She can answer it until end of August at least. Bloody Three, Bloody Optus.
Yaay, Vodaphone.

Love Nette x

Popular Posts