A Dinky Di Australian Boxing Day

Without Prejudice

The sun shines and overhead a plane buzzes drowsily, too far to be seen but not to be heard. It sounds like a fat bee drunk on nectar. A lady bug appears in the pool as Yvette blows it up and Zach has mown the lawns to short as possible. Kyan who is 8 flinches at the lady bug and we tell him how lucky they are and allow her to crawl over our fingers. We rig up a dark sheet on the Hills Hoist for shade and lock it down inside the metal stem.

The little darlings can't wait to get in the water and we make them all look away at the sound of the invisible plane as Zach pours buckets of water from the hot tap into the pool. The water that comes out the overflow tap from the hot water tap is close to boiling and we know if the boys see it they will try turning it on.

Naked little bodies slip and slide on the Slip and Slide and tiny penises and balls bounce in the fresh air. Yvette says she has seven sets of dick and balls and she's right but not all are visible, thank God, only the ones under 5. Their bodies are covered in sunscreen and the pool is shaded at last. A wind whips up as Yvette and I tie down the sheet with wooden pegs.

Its Australia, its Summer and the day is perfect. A sweet quiet Boxing Day. The boys scream outside my window in mirth, laughing at each other as they tumble and slide. We rig up a small pool as well so feet can be washed before they get in the bigger pool and Kyan complains there is grass in the pool and we tell him to get over it.
"What if you were swimming in a dam I ask and he replies he has no idea what I am talking about. A dam if you were on a farm I reply and I realise they have never been on a farm. Yvette mentions that a baby girl drowned in Brisbane this morning in a small pool so we only half fill it, but even so Cruz falls head first in and splutters. We make sure he can stand before we wipe his streaming eyes.

The sun beats down and the splashing and screaming go on. I decide to trawl the local Supermarket as Yvette and I decide we feel like Xmas Pudding. The shops are full of bargain hunters and I grab up custard and pudding and fresh cream, fruit and they are all marked down and I have 4 bags full of left over Christmas Goodies and it has cost me the princely sum of $12.00. God bless Xmas mark downs and Boxing day sales.

These boys can eat like there is no tomorrow and the teen boys can eat their own body weight in food and it seems to go nowhere. They still are all arms and legs, tall unlike their Mum and Dad. Skinny just like Mum and Dad and don't drink, smoke or touch drugs, very unlike their Mum and Dad used to be. Their Dad, I recall was drinking a bottle of Jim Beam a day when I first met him and he was 13.

We haven;'t seen him this Christmas, bless, he usually truns up Christams Ece out of his head on something and takes flying leaps at the fly wire. Last year the single male neighbours told him to calm down and asked him inside for a beer. He sold them drugs and they said it was good stuff. This year Yvette renewed her IVO on him, so he's not appearing. She goes to show me a photo of his Iced face the oldest boys have taken and I tell her not to bother.

I feel for his Mother but I no longer feel for him. You just can't with a junkie, your time, breath, energy is wasted on someone that thinks the whole world is bent and we are all crazy and they alone are omnipotent. I had an email last night from a friend whose son has been a drug addict for 20 years. She is a born again christian and I said that all the prayer and higher power is not going to get him off heroin.

Hes incarcerated at the moment but is convinced he doesnt have a problem ??????? Another Simon and he is also named Simon. Simple Simon. Junkies are lazy mainly. They don't want to do the work, in fact they mainly don't work. There is something so intrinsically wrong with them its not funny and never ever trust them as they will take out the gold fillings from a dead body to get their next hit.

I can understand party drugs as they amke you happy, but Heroin?? its a Zombie drug and turns grown men into the walking dead. What fun is there in that, ? Alcohol, Marijuana, ecstasy, speed will at least get you high. But heroin makes you sit around on the nod and down and must be terrible, certainly not a party drug. It numbs I heard. Numbs your pain and your memories. Lots of fun in that.

The boys have disappeared as I write, lots of new toys to play with. Tired out from fun in the sun and the excitement of Christmas Day over. They will be weary and ready to watch a movie in the darkened lounge. And I am high up in my unit, front door closed and I can't hear a thing from the house. Ah the bliss of peace and quiet. I always wanted peace and quiet once my kids were grown. Longed for it.

Yvette comes in to get pudding and we talk about her upcoming nuptials, The dress, the shoes, the venue, she wants it to be low key but I cant imagine it will be, Not with this family, anyway. Maybe Simon will turn up, that would be fun. lol


Popular Posts