eBay.

Without Prejudice



I have gone back to it my favourite thing. Selling on EBay. I love old things and I figure if I love it, someone else will too. Rat fink, ex son in law Simon gave me some old things before he took off with my IPad and the sign I have that says. Love our home. Don't ask it's a long and boring story. Suffice to say I managed to get the IPad back straight away with some threats and lots of tricks. So out of revenge, I listed the old items on EBay and have had lots of bids and heaps of interest.

eBay is a strange phenomena. My brother can never sell anything on there he says, but I can. What sells best are things that are Collectable or unique. I love vintage retro kitschy stuff from the 40's through to the 60's and 70's. Old enough to be interesting and that has a history. Vintage perfumes sell well as do, believe it or not, shoes. I adore things with a history and the only bug bear I find is giving them up. Mainly because once I have bought them I consider them mine.

I bought a pill box hat with netting that Yvette wore on Melbourne Cup day and she won the prize for best hat. I of course had to drag it back off her and hide it till its next outing. I bought a Hugo Boss suit off EBay that was worn time after time and then sold it. I am now looking for another much smaller one for when Yvette gets married. Maybe I will wear the pill Box hat myself.

I bought a fur stole at St. Vinnies the other day, faux fur but I love it as my Mother had one. She used to call it her "rabbit". I love the way it looks draped around my décolletage with a long evening dress underneath. I have waspies from the 40's, a peg noir from the 50's. Love all my vintage items.

People give me retro things to collect. Kez Hancock gave me clip on earrings from the 50's which pinch like hell by the end of an evening but are so worth the pain. If I buy modern it must be designer to be of value. I have had and sold Dior, Chanel, Ferragamo, Allanah Hill, Charlie Brown, Adele Palmer, vintage Cue, Jag. I kick myself later when I remember but luckily have no room so must sell.

Lisa Ho is stunning, so is anything by Adele and Rob Palmer when they started Jag. People have commented on both when I have worn them. Jag mainly for the fabrics which were sensational. I also love pumps. The shoes like Minnie Mouse wore when I was a girl. I've sold cars, car parts, dresses, jackets, all manner of household items. It's a nice little hobby and addictive once you start.
.
I teach it too. I can teach a person the basics in three hours and one lady I taught in Toorak went on to sell $6,500 worth of furniture. Love success stories like that. Just about anything sells but be warned EBay buyers are smart and know how much something is worth and they will not pay silly prices nor will they accept postage that is marked up.

I used to not sell around Xmas time as most people go away and it used to be that nothing ever sold over the Summer holidays. Since the GFC, people are saving their money and not going away as much, so it's a win win for EBay sellers.

I buy and I sell and listing stock used to be the most time consuming, but with the new apps you can list in five minutes and list from anywhere, having taken the photos and uploading them is a snap. It used to take forever. I used to put long and detailed descriptions but now photos are free I find it's the photos that count.

Between my writing and EBay, my kids, Grandkids, great grandchild, garden and home I am forever busy and content. Christmas is so meaningful this year. I decorated early and am still cleaning as if in a spring cleaning frenzy that never seems to stop. A four roomed one bedroom unit should not be so time consuming but if I want it spotless it takes all the time I have plus one half hour.

And if only mad dogs and Englishman go out in the midday sun, I am classified along with them. I was out in the midday sun today, temperature in the high 30's and moving outdoor furniture. I am mad as I am still recovering from a bad back. But I had to do it. I could have asked for help from one of the 4 teen boys, but the hassle is not worth it. They complain too much and take too long.

Even so it didn't feel that hot and the table was heavy but I just bent at the knees, as any good safety officer would have reminded me to do and the job was done. I've already painted the table in stripes painted  the chairs. Well two need screwing back together and I dread asking the carpenter next door as he keeps trying to be nice to me. I ticked him off a few weeks ago about being a grumpy old man, even though he's at least 15 years younger than me.

Since then he 's gone out of his way to be nice to me. It's hardly my fault his ex left him and took the little boy which wasn't his. He told me. He didn't have to pay her out or anything and she left nearly two years ago now. After she told me he was bi polar. I had a feeling he wasn't, just grieving one of his sons who had hung himself. The son was from a former relationship, 18, on drugs, bad drugs and the new ex would not be able to handle all that sorrow.

I understood but was not going to be snapped at. I'm just the neighbour. But he is a good person, always helps out if there is a fight in the street or a car that needs to be started. And he's clever with his hands. Just built a new pergola on his own, owns a boat and motorbike and is such a hard worker. And what has this to do with EBay, you are wondering ? Absolutely nothing of course. But because I was outside I had the door open and could hear the nice satisfying ding of a bid from the IPad on my EBay items and every time I heard it I felt a little thrill.

I love the new technology as the sound of a bid is a different sound to an email coming in or a Facebook comment. So I could run in and see the bids and grab a drink of water at the same time. eBay I love you and I promise not to neglect you again

Love Janette







Popular Posts