Go Get Nanny

Without Prejudice



"Go get Nanny "

I hear from no mans land, the space between my unit and Yvette's house. I am settled on the foor, absolutely beyond tired, having a quiet moment, stretched out reading Time Magazine with Steve Jobs on the cover.

I know Kyan, 8, Acer, 4 and Cruz 2 are bouncing on the trampoline with balloons I have blown up, tied off with string. A La Romper Room and singing Punch, Punch your ball, punching's so much fun. I can hear wailing from Acer and again Kyan calls out,

"Go get Nanny."

I know that Yvette is not more than five feet away from them, but I sigh and glance ruefully at Steve and run outside. Acers balloon has popped and tears run down his face. Cruz and Kyan are bouncing and punching,

I wonder why they don't call out Mum but Nanny is the miracle maker. The blower of balloons, the finder of tissues, the all knowing, fully stocked, medically, the clean Queen. I take Acer inside and blow another ballon, he wants a blue one and there is one blue one left in the packet I bought a month ago.

It has a hole in it. He decides he also loves yellow and I blow it up, tie off the neck and attach string. I feel like I have been doing these simple things all my life and figure I have.

I grab tissues and dry his eyes and nose.Cruz is next with a really bad streamimg nose. Yvette has decided in her wisdom she is not medicating him so I pull out nose drops, another balloon and wrestle him to the floor, to dry up his nose, gently. It's been wiped so many times, it's sore and he cries. I tell him I'll be gentle but he's obviously heard that before and screams.

I give him his asthma puffer, one spray, bugger new fangled ideas, Nanny knows best. I feel like Supernanny or more like Mary Poppins. It's my role. And I love it. Just for good measure I give Cruz a big fat kiss on his chubby cheek, he is adorable and he knows it. I scoop him up in my arms do a dip for Down In The Bottom Of The Deep Blue Sea and he chuckles and points at the Christmas Tree.
"Wow", he says.
I hold him up high to see the star and we go through his daily ritual. Santa, Star, Pretty, lights, and I chase him outside.

I plonk him up on the trampoline with the other boys and go in search if Mother. She's engrossed in Today Tonight, and I say Cruz is not well, it's getting cold out there and she seems to not hear a word. I have learned to my peril she hears me alright, but even as a kid you could never get her to respond when she's watching T.V.

I watch as Obama speaks of the tragedy of 20 children shot, senselessly and cry as he says God has called them home. The facts are so gut wrenching and incomprehensible that I can watch no more. I want to be free of sadness this Christmas. Full of cheer and bonhomie, mince pie stuffed and drowsy as I watch the Queens speech. Yvette excels herself at Christmas and then we have a wedding to look forward to as well. She needs a dress.



The boys appear once again later, jumpers on, so she does hear! and they look tired and clean. More balloon blowing as the others have blown away, more kisses, more admiration of the tree and Kyan will use my toilet as he thinks that his has Daddy Long Legs in it. He has only ever seen one but lives in fear of seeing another.

Basically he likes the cleanliness if it and the nice smelling soap. There are two loos in Yvette's house but shared amongst 8 boys, they are impossible to keep clean and sweetly smelling. The one down the bag used to be decorated with girly pics and mags but we took them down and out to the bin. The teen boys are not allowed to have that sort if stuff around the little boys.




Popular Posts