Mickey Newbury, Charlie Rich Et Al

Without Prejudice



Mickey Newbury was one of country musics greatest unheard of talents. He was heard by some but not enough. He should have been heard by the whole world. He was a singer, writer, guitar picker. He died sadly, young, of cancer and for us devotees he is missed more than any one.

Ultimately he was a Poet, a word smith that shames me to even think I could write words that could even try and emulate him. Johnny Cash introduced him once with the words, " he is a seeker of the simple truth, that we all struggle to put into words"

The simple truth of Mickey was that his words could travel you to new and old worlds. I wish I had that talent and be able to set it to music. People may remember him for certain songs but my favourite has to be " I Came To Hear The Music"

Its the song that resonates within me like a mantra, a prayer, a whisper from a lover of beauty into my ear and strengthens and embolds me. It speaks direct to my heart as if he has put his mouth on it..

The last stanza needs no explanation.

" Close your eyes and let the sky fall softly down,

All around the light

Let yourself be swept into the silent, ever yielding arms of the night.

Save theses precious moments for the child behind your eyes

To touch the things he lost along the way

Because I believe that God in his wisdom has set aside this time

To let us all go home to Yesterday "

That speaks to me of Lauren, my father, mother, Jamie, and when I am swept into the darkness of night I am once again with them. The lost are touched there, a hand, a finger, a brush of the cheek. Butterfly wings of kisses that tremble silently on the cheek. The strong arms that enfold me in a hug. And in dreams we visit and are happy and when the great eternity comes for us, we know we have no fear. Welcome it, even.

We will be rested and comforted and without pain, either of the heart or the physical shell that is our body. Our spirit will dance, sway, be loved, remembered.

And Charlie Rich, because tonight I am thinking of Neville, my old fiancé, the youngster, 12 years younger than me but no one loved my music as much as he.

In his soft Dublin accent he would tell me my musician father left me a great gift, my appreciation of music. And his number one song or one of them all was Charlie Rich, "When we get behind closed doors" . I thought it was hoky, but he loved it with a passion, so for Neville in love and memory at Christmas 2012, I will listen to it one more time. And then Dan Fogelberg with "Same old Lang Syne,

Merry Christmas ex darling, God Bless x





Popular Posts