The New Jeep Cherokee

Without Prejudice

My younger brother brought around his long awaited for new Jeep Cherokee, the night before last.  He had to wait and wait for it to arrive, wait for the special leather tan interior to be made, drove him mad but it was worth the wait. The colour of the interior,saddle, and the car the epitome of luxury. Just a push of a button to start it. My oldest brother had said it would probably be white and I was amazed at his cleverness and his knowing of our baby brother so well.

I said aloud,

"He said, it would be white, how well does he know you ?'

Both of them laughed and I realised the joke.
"God you are rotten to your Sister"
Of course the older one, knew, the younger one had told him, they both said,
"Yes, that's right, we are STILL, your brothers"

In other words they will play tricks on me all of my life, just as they did when I was young, and I was the believer, the gullible one.
Bastards!

We went off for a drive in the new Jeep, surrounded by the heady perfume of new car and leather. The older brother driving it and he found it delightful. Easy to steer and a dream to drive. Runs on diesel as well and you would never be able to tell. Purrs like a contented pussy cat, no drone as in a normal diesel engine. He's always wanted a Jeep, my younger Brother, now he has his GT, sitting in his garage and his lovely new Jeep to drive. He loves cars, always has and always will.

My older Brother the same with his new car, a G6E Turbo Ford. They both are car crazy and love the fast ones. I hate fast cars or going fast in them and every so often they will take me for a fast drive just so they can hear me shriek and watch my knuckles turn white on the door handle and dashboard. I always tell them off and they laugh as they really are just bastard brothers at times. Typical ! I am once again, Girl Germ, Sister and to be outwitted or made to take my place in their male pecking order and they know they can't beat me. I'm the Genius of the Family.

They do but try, however.

I cried thirty years ago when my ex husband bought me a new car and drove up in the Driveway with it. A Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited Edition and I cried as I thought it was a truck. What the hell did I need a truck for ? But he was right as I loved it from the first time I drove it. Piled the kids and The two dogs in it and took off with it, destination unknown. It could be steered with one finger and also had a leather interior and had been driven down from Townsville, brand new, after coming over from America, and changed to a right hand drive.

Never ever had a problem with it, but we did have two gas tanks fitted as it was heavy on petrol. We did drive it as a 4 wheel drive too, taking it to Qld and driving up to Rainbow Beach in it. Of course we were soon bogged on a sand hill and had to dig inderneath and deflate the tyres. When we started driving back through NSW to home in Melbourne, the air conditioner packed up. It's 1,100 miles from Brisbane to Melbourne and the best way is through the boring and Barren back of NSW.

Temperatures reach 45 degrees in the shade there and there is none. It was in the drought time then and we saw dead sheep and cattle on the sides of the roads. Cattle that had been let out of the paddocks to feed on what little grass there was on the verges. We had to slow down for mobs of them wandering the roads, no human in sight to abuse. It was a desperate time then and the drought went on for ever.

It was so hot through Parkes and Dubbo, that we could not look at each other as we wanted to snap and snarl at each other like two rabid dogs. The cricket droned on inside the Jeep as we still had a radio but just no way of keeping cool except open windows and we sweated pounds. It had a sun roof which offered nothing except hot breezes which were like flames whipping at our skin. I had once lived in Canowindra, near Cowra in NSW and very well remembered the hot dusty days of Summer where no one ventured outside. And inside was little better.

The Jeep Cherokee I stll had when He, the ex, bought a Ferrari and at that stage I thought he had gone completely mad. Just a Mid Life Crisis of Epic proportions and we, the girls and I could do nothing right by him. He wanted what he wanted and that was it. He bought a Red Dino Ferrari, dyed his hair, wore his acid wash jeans as tight as he could bear them and tried to relive a lost youth. He was lost and moved out for almost a year, not knowing what it was he wanted.

He moved back home eventually and then I threw him out and began a whole new life without him in it. I will always remember the Jeep Cherokee, Maroon and Silver beast, that I had cried over when it arrived and cried when it went. Taken in the bitter settlement we had as Husband and Wife. It was only a material thing, but in it's journey it had contained our hopes and dreams, our kids and dogs and a small lifetime of memories.


Love Janette

Popular Posts