The Photo I LOVE

Without Prejudice






This is the photo, the one that I love. The one that says this is why you are here, why you are still here. To see this photo makes my heart sing, like no other photo. This photo says you helped create this and it is so very very right.

It shows my Grandson Kyle holding his baby son Andrej, aged 3 months. The baby grins and laughs at everyone, he is a heart on a stick and I am already besotted with him. I helped to raise Kyle from birth. He was more than a grandson at that time he was my reason to live, to go on, to heal and start over. He was just born, only 2 weeks old when we lost our youngest daughter, aged 12.

It wasn't his fault to be born at that awful time but he was a light at the end of the tunnel. He needed us, he needed me and Deb and Yvette (his Mum) and Alena. He needed us so much as we were all ricocheting off walls at that time. Especially his Mum who had just given birth and was immediately pushed into a grief situation. We feared for her "Baby Blues", she was just turned 18, so we took over the feeding and changing and care as it helped us to focus on the living and not the dead.

He was always Yvette's baby but he was ours too and we looked out for him. He was a holy little terror mind st you by the time he was 2. He could scale fences, ride a two wheeler,

"Look Mum, no training wheels".

And it was she, Yvette, pushing him down the court at Parkmore Gardens, allowing him to take flight as she knew a boy must.  Those days were rough, beyond rough. But he was our delight and love and fun, we covered him in a safe blanket of kisses and cuddles. We sheltered him from harm and brushed his curly hair out from his head until he looked like a "clown".

He wears his hair short these days exactly for that reason. He was love on a stick and now his baby son is the same. You can't spoil a baby I don't believe. You can only love them.

Kyle looks at his baby the same way I have seen his Mum, Yvette look at all of her sons, seven in total. Like they were a million dollars to her, a gold bar, a slice of heaven. I have taken photos of that look, that rapture and you can only imagine that look.

I have seen it. There is a light and a love in her eyes that blazes down on her baby, it takes your breath away. I have captured it but its is so much better in the real time. She is like that with every baby, born to be a Mother. One of the patient kind. The kind, kind.

The fun kind, the playing with them kind while all around the house could be falling to bits. It's baby time and it's so precious to her. That's why she's such a good Mum. It's that maternal stare of hers, like she has found the secret to the Universe and she has for her.

Kyle was confused as a baby as he thought he had 4 Mothers. Nana Mum, Debbie Mum, Alena Mum, and Yvette Mum. He was stunning, a mop of curls and a wicked laugh. He was also a little brat and would upend corn flakes in with the kitty litter and spread it across the floor.

 At 2 and a half he was like Houdini and no matter what we did we could not keep him inside. He would drag stools across the floor and escape. Climbing 6' fences and gone. He was caught by the police we had rung at one stage and he told them a false name, (Not much has changed, ha ha )

He was tough and uncompromising at three, telling me I was NOT his whole world any more. I laughed and laughed after but didn't let him see it. He was still going to bed, my whole world or not. He told me NOT to speak to his Debbie when she came to visit. He was so goddamn cute you wanted to eat him up. He also said to my kindly brother in Law,
"I don't share", when asked to share his toys. I was so embarrassed.

Well that part has changed at least for the last twelve months he has taken in two of his brothers and thats a big ask for a 22 year old. And now he has his own son to help look after. Knowing Kyle, he will have to have the best of everything. The best clothes, toys, baby stuff, presents. I know what he's like, he always has to have the best.

So good luck Grandson, may your baby Son be as loved as you were and may he not turn into Houdini


Love Janette

Popular Posts