The Beyond Glamour Wedding Dress

Without Prejudice

So I have Maldenka staying with the new addition to the family, Andrej, just almost 12 weeks old. A little boy munchkin of wonder and delight. Maddy came up here with 3 requests,

1. Meet Haylee, my niece,  as she is pregnant and like Mladenka had lost a baby before this one, so Mladenka thought they could talk.

2. She wanted to meet my Sister Jackie as she does great readings with the Tarot, my grand daughter Ashleigh and brother George can attest to the accuracy of Jackies reading and last but  not least.

3. Buy a fabulous dress for a Wedding she has to go to the weekend after  she leaves here. She and my oldest daughter, Deb, have shopped all over Melbourne, (Supposedly, the style capital of Australia) and could find nothing.

I saw the dress as the most urgent as I know what time it takes to go shopping with a 3 month old baby. By the time you feed, change, bathe and dress them, they usually have puked up over one outfit and then we start all over again. I had visions of traipsing around shops, baby in tow, screaming for a feed and finding, nothing.

Mladenka said her and Debbie had shopped everywhere for a decent dress. I had said in one of my earlier stories that Queensland was more casual in dress than Melbourne, mainly because of the heat. I reiterated this to Mladenka as she came up with the idea of finding a dress before she went back. It seemed like Mission Impossible. And I like a plan.

So I asked her to show me the dress she wanted, and in the mean time we watched, "How Do I Look" and Goks Fashionm Tips for ideas. Maddy came up with 5 dresses, all long. Either assymetrical (one shoulder) or with a sexy elegant split up one leg. I said she could not have both cleavage and leg showing it had to be one or the other. ( I watch my fashion tips) She showed me 5 dresses she looked up on the internet.

She didn't want black, it was to be a day and evening wedding. But the main criteria was that to the community at large ( Serbian ) and her close family she wanted to look drop dead stunning, gorgeous, glamorous, elegant but not enough to "out Do" the bride. If it was one shouldered she wanted a flower or something decorative on the attached shoulder.

"No tall order or anything," I thought .

Baby, young Mum (20) new adoring Mum, baby out of routine just by being here in Queensland and not at home so prone to scream place down, but hasn't yet. You just never know ! Long formal glamour dress, can't be black, nor white, assymetrical, colour?

I was looking at an all day hunt if not more. Arrgghhh. With a baby, no pram, just a holding of bubs by Mum. You get the picture.

But we had a plan, we knew what she needed, wanted and desired all we had to do was find that dress, So with a strong will we sallied forth to North Lakes Shopping Centre. Went straight to Myers, no stopping, no exclaiming at shoes or jewellery. I pictured rows and rows of formal gowns. I asked for the evening gown section.

"Ah, " said the lady, "We are getting something like that next month "
"What do you have long, now " I asked.
"We have 3 ", she said and Mladenka and I looked at each other, saying nothing.

"But I do have one in Review"
"Beautiful", I replied and we jockeyed in to position like horses at a starter gate.
"It's purple", she called out over her shoulder.

She pulled out a dress, a long dress, it had one shoulder with a corsage in the same fabric attached to one side. It was fitted in at the waist, with a wide band and then flowed out in tiny pleats to the floor.

"It's the dress", I whispered to Mladenka. We were goggle eyed in shock. It was a $300 dress reduced to $111.00. Maldenka went to try it on and I held baby who was asleep. I wandered around expecting her to come out. No Mladenka, so I went off to the changing rooms and she came out.

"Thats the dress, thats the dress", I said.
The dress was a dream and fitted her like a glove, size 8. It hugged her body in all the right places and she looked the absolute bomb. She twirled and the pleats fanned out. It held her waist and clung to her bust and it was made for her. We exclaimed so much, the shop assistants and a customer in a cubicle came out.

They all gasped and smiled and I knew we had hit pay dirt.

It was stunning. How could that happen here in Queensland ?

When all of Melbourne had been scoured and come up with nothing?  I had to amend my views of Queensland fashion right then and there. It was so good the lady in the cubicle gave us another voucher to get more money off the sale price.

The dress was wrapped and we sailed straight out of Myers on cloud nine, mission accomplished and in record time. A half hour. We grabbed some food and headed home for lunch and to feed and nap baby. It was a miracle, a delight.

When we had time to draw breath I realised when I was married that was the way I shopped. I hated shopping with 4 kids so I made up my mind before I left home, went straight to stores and found what I wanted immediately. Mladenka told me she also hates clothes shopping. We won.

She will now go to the wedding looking exactly like she wanted to. A glamourous success, not a single Mother, as she keeps calling herself. I said.

"Call yourself a Mother, not a single Mother, as single Mother has negative connotations"

"Who hasn't had a baby out of wedlock, these days?" said the customer in the cubicle.

"You look fabulous", said the sales girls and she did, she did.

My kind of shopping, you might not always get a big Win like that, but today we did. Ask any woman. There is no better thing than finding just the right dress and if it is a bargain as well, the miracle is complete, Happiness.

Love Janette

Popular Posts