The Hostel 2

Without Prejudice


I remember nothing of the trip on the SS O'Tranto that had carried us to Australia, But I remember the sun and white bright heat reflecting back at me me from the bus window. I was so excited and that is my first memory and I was just turned 2.



I remember the Nissen Hut that was going to be our home for the next two years. Corrugated iron on the outside and a big drop down one bare bulb in the middle of the room/ I think Mum tried to grow plants to line our teensy weensy path, I can remember plants that had little coloured flowers that looked like Bridal Bouquets.



When we first went to the Dining Hall Dad said shark was on the menu and the tomato soup tasted like watered down Tomato Paste.



There were lots of different nationalities, Hungarian, Polish, German. Turks and they all fought and there were knives used. Ian was quite brave about it all and was our defender. Mum and Dad worked outside the camp and I had to go to Nursery School, which I hated, loathed. Crying all the way there as an anxious hurried me along, she not wanting to be late for School.



And I would drag back, missing my Mother who I had never been separated from, so not wanting to go to "that place", which had women staffing it.

Popular Posts