Beyond Bastardry 2

Without Prejudice


After my ex had made his threats to my new boyfriend things went quiet for a while. The man and I didn't see each other,  just to keep the peace and protect the girls. All seemed fine then and I heaved a huge sigh of relief and continued to bury myself in work. I was always busy with wages and subbies payments, tanker routes had to be changed and all the phone calls answered. It was a relief to be busy. There was an awful thing happened to my big boss. His 15 month old daughter was terribly injured at home. She had been playing with her cousins in the Family Room and a billiard table had been propped against one wall. It fell over and crushed the tiny little girl underneath and she was critically injured and not expected to live. Joe with solemn face told me the next morning when I went in to work. It was shocking. She lived but was brain damaged forever and had physical injuries as well. My big boss didn't come in for a while and it was very sombre atmosphere in the office. Joe told me how he and his wife had lost twin girls shortly after birth. One had lived a week and he said that was a beautiful week. We cried a little at how life can take tragic twists at times and how we as parents were left to deal with it. I liked Joe and I knew he liked me but I told little of my personal life to him. He was always asking if I had a boyfriend and I would lie and say no. I didn't see it was any of his business and just kept my mouth shut. But he continued to question me, ask me out and make strongly suggestive remarks and I would just laugh at him. It was 1990 and we both smoked in the office in those days, seems so weird now. He managed to give up years before I did and he was the heaviest smoker I had ever met. Frank, the sales rep would borrow the work ute and come in holding the offensive car ashtray in front of him in disgust, nose wrinkled. And then one day when I thought all things were going well I was back to hell again. I had walked into work to see all the tanker drivers lined up at the front counter. All had gloomy faces and no one spoke. Joe called me aside into the other room. He told me that "the Italian's" car had been "done over" with something. I cried out and rushed out to have a look. The beautiful vintage Valiant was covered all over with what I thought was acid at first. The glass in the windows all etched, the paintwork ruined, the substance dripping down the sides. The car was kept securely locked behind fencing and gates. Someone had targeted his car and completely wrecked it and it wasn't insured. Joe asked me if I thought my ex had done it and again I replied, No. I didn't think, once again, that he was capable of such a thing. My "boyfriend" was also going through a nasty separation and there was some conjecture as to who might have done it. My ex denied all knowledge of course but it was him I was to find out later. he had paid some ex prisoner guy to do it and Deb's car. I hated him even more then. But despite it all he and I continued to see each other and one day he rang in at work sick. I had a RDO and I was at his place for the weekend. He was speaking to Joe and Joe must have asked if I was there and the Italian replied, yes. So even though Joe had an inkling we were seeing each other confirmation had come. He had asked me round the time of the car being ruined if I was "doing anything" with the Italian and I said, "No" So guess who was sacked the next day, by the big boss and later I rang Joe and asked him if he had anything to do with me being sacked and his answer? "You lied to me, you said you weren't doing anything with him" So I knew then he did have something to do with it and I was livid. I was out of work, the house we had known for 20 years was about to be sold and my ex had sent the boys around and taken all the furniture. I decided to go see a Solicitor at long last. The first one was a woman and she advised me to get rid of 2 of the kids and go on Valium. I wasn't about to do either so I went to see another. He was great. We went to the Family Law Court and made application for mediation for A, who was 15. The upshot was dreadful for her and she felt like she was being pulled from pillar to post. She resided with her Dad for a time and then came back home. I never received one cent in maintenance for her while I had her but he applied for Child Endowment and was allowed it. It was a measly ten dollars a week. He took out $50,000 from the business and bought himself a house. His parents signed me out as a director of the Company, so I had no income, no job, soon to be no house and no furniture. The solicitor was able to have the furniture granted back to me but only after my Aunt had arrived from the UK and we had sat around on the floor. That whole time was insane and I have no idea how we got through it. The LTD was gone, as well and I ended up borrowing an old bomb from a kindly friend and bought another one on Hire Purchase. I had another job to start at Bosch but it wasn't till after Christmas. I cannot recall Christmas at all that year, no matter how hard I try to remember. I must have been so stressed or something. The only light at the end of the seemingly endless tunnel was Kyle. He alone kept us motivated and moving forward. The house was sold for a seemingly small sum and instead of getting the profit from it my ex handed it back to the bank. The bank had years before put a second mortgage on it as security on the business. He made sure the business was his, the proceeds of the house were supposed to be mine and the girls. Remember how he had said he was doing it all for us ? not true in the end. He had a house paid for out of the business and we had nothing and we had to scramble to get a rented house for us all. I can never forget his betrayal. He has to be the most evil man in Australia as all this was after we had lost a child. My brother had warned me as to what my ex would do but I never believed one person could be that evil to his former wife and kids, but he was. And even worse was yet to come To be continued

Popular Posts