Chokky A Cockatoo

Without Prejudice



He wanted one, my husband, a sulphur crested cockatoo, had always wanted one. Our next door neighbour delivered him the day after we were back from Warrnambool Drags. Exhausted, gritty and tired from Nick the Wrecker giving us LSD in our coffee. Wired up we had taken the kids the day before to the drags, packed them all in the lemon of a Rover and drove down at speed. Lauren was still in nappies so it must have been 78 or 79.

Sylvia whose idea it was to have Nick at our house had rung me from Rob's restaurant where she worked.
"My hands and feet are blue", she moaned
"No they're not", I replied and giggled.
"Ian took the dots away that Nick put in or coffee and he gave us LSD.
"Fuck", she said.
"Well what am I going to do about my blue hands and feet ?"

I laughed she laughed and she went back to work all "blued" up. I knew she was still off with the fairies as were Bob and I. We drove like demons to Warrambool all edgy and agitated, snappy. We called in at a milk bar and grabbed sandwiches, barely able to wait for them to be made.

It was like we were snapping our fingers but weren't moving them. We knew we were "tripping" but we couldn't unwind ourselves. Six o"clock that night we did and it was the worst feeling ever, "coming down" they cal it. Nick ended up in a Thai jail a year later trying to take heroin out of the country. Sylvia brought us the article and we could not believe our eyes.

Our good and trusted friend arrested and sent to jail, well I didn't trust him after the LDS incident. When we had asked him what he was putting in our coffee that night he had answered just something that would make us feel drunk without a hangover the next day. Ha, tell that to Syl with her blue hands and feet.

I had faced him down when he came back to collect his jacket the next day, before we took off to Warrnambool in no fit state to be driving. With the kids in the car, 4 under 8 at that stage.
He said,
"You had a nice time, lady, now keep your mouth shut" I was no longer, Janette, just "lady"
"Arsehole" I said under my breath as Bob glared at me in a warning glance.

And so red eyed and tired we arose from our beds on Sunday afternoon and watched as a cockatoo, tink, tink, tinked on our polished floors into the kitchen. It wasn't a he it turned out, it was a she. And straight away she fell in love with Bob as most females did. Me, she just hissed at me and her crest flicked forward in a warning. She danced, she talked and she bossed us around from day one.

We were charmed and delighted at her antics, she sleighted, skittering across the floor in a special dance of happiness. She made herself at home on the back of one of the chairs, genteely crapped down the back and bounced up and down

To be continued

Popular Posts