Sunshine

Without Prejudice




When I was a yong Mum with 4 little girls, all under 6 I took them to see a movie called Sunshine. The music was by John Denver and he sang of country roads and back home, mountains, green grass and country living. By the time the movie rolled the credits I was in tears, it was a sad movie.

The girls cried too and loved the music and we went home and bought the album and played it for ages. Deb asked me to put on youtube the John Denver songs just the other day and the Fureys and Boney M. Albums that went on for entire Summers. Linda Ronstad, Bat Out Of Hell, Hotel California, Gorgio Moroder, Donna Summer. Each Summer had it's own album and remains in our memory as a slice of time encased in amber.

I can't think about Brashs Southland without thinking of War Of The Worlds, James Reyne, Fall Of Rome, and Khe Sahn, Billy Jean, too. Dan Folgelberg and Just Another Old Lang Syne. Poignant haunting. Saturday mornings working as part time Manageress and music blaring all over the store. Boys and girls hungover from Friday night, red eyed and gritty and having to be charming and pleasant when they didn't feel like it.

So they played all the stuff they liked and LOUD, and it made for a fun atmosphere. My Boss, David, was a closet lover of all the English stuff. Eye In The Sky by Alan Parsons Project, The Secret Police Mens Ball, The Goons. He would play them especially for my delight as I was too English on my Mothers side. And loved the English humour, Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese, Spike Milligan. I was entranced.

David would stand in the other office down loading songs loud to the store and pop his head around the door as I counted the takings for the day and balancing. He was very shy and would say,
"like that ? " And was delighted when he saw the smile on my face. Every time I would stop in at Darrell Lea and buy my little girls something for being good while I was at work. They remember the little jars of boiled sweets.

Popular Posts