Sun In Winter

Without Prejudice



I've been here over a month now and Melbourne seems so far away. My cough went within the first week, cured by sun and heat. I've been busy writing every day and bike riding everywhere. Thank God I am forced to as I would probably drive otherwise. I now love the feel of the tyres whishing, my legs pushing and straining to get up hills. Who knew there were hills in Redcliffe ?

I've been to birthday parties and an Engagement. I stopped in at Beachmere and now here at Redcliffe, where Norfolk Pines grace the beach at Margate and Dolly Mixtures can be bought at the English shop down the road. Time seems to stand still here. There is no hustle and bustle of the city, kids wear their big school hats on small heads and I can leave the bike unlocked near shops and no one runs off with it.

The streets are quiet and everyone is in bed by 9.30 at the latest and up at 5.30 as the sun comes up early even in Winter. The sun seems to shine every day and you can sun bake every day if you want. Most people here do the exact opposite but I can't get enough of it. I love the sun, it energises me and soaks into my bones.

I have to do very little here but write and write and write. We have a cleaner who is like 78 not out and she is wonderful to listen to. She swaers like a trooper, especially about her ex who sounds a horror. She loves calling him names as she vacs and irons and makes me tea and coffee. I've made fudge and she loves it, coffee this time, not chocolate. I've been out for tea so many times now I lose count.

My brother likes to eat out rather than stay home but when we do we always end up watching one of his pics on Foxtel. Something gory and bloody and very entertaining I find out. we are following Game Of Thrones at the moment and it's good, if not a tad, bloody. he loves RPA too and thats even worse. he likes doco's and Boardwalk Empire and all the men things while I plump for Lifestyle channel and Gok Wan.

When I first rode the biks he pushed me off to go down the hill and I wobbled and lurched and nearly fell over and now I am a dab hand at it. Whizzing down to the beach road like I was 11 again. I am tempted to take my feet off the pedals and stick them out and yell Whee, but don't as that would look ridiculous.

There is so much to see and do and I race through my writing so I can go outside in the sun. There is no twilight. The sun goes down rapidly like drawing a black velevt curtain on the day. One minute light and the next dark.

Can't imagine there is a lot of crime here but The cleaner tells me there is. Drugs and Mafia she says and I wonder who buys it. Not the geriatrics I am sure that abound here and seem to be loving their retirement. Although the grandfather in the Movie, little Miss Sunshine says that youngsters are mad if they do drugs and the elderly are mad if they don't. He being thrown out of the nursing home for snorting heroin.

So for now I am Little Miss Sunshine in the state of the banana benders as against the state of the mexicans, Victoria and love it. I am not homesick yet and I said I would go home when I was. I haven't been homesick this time. Not for anyone or anything. Usually I miss everything. A good cappucino, a good Thai, but no not a thing.

I guess it's because here I am free to do what I want. my brother gone during the day or away on business. I can write or read, tidy up, wash up, watch Foxtel Lifestyle channel until I turn into Jackie Llewellen or Donna Hay. I know how to render and tile and paint and dress a room. I can cook a crepe or Satay prawns or go to Morgans and have fresh fish from the catch of the day.

I can wander the beachfront which is pristine and beautiful, cross the old Hornibrook Highway bridge, have a pie and mushy peas at the bakery or go fishing from a pier. I can scour the op shops which are huge and full of "Golden Oldies" and that's just the old dears that serve in them. People say hello and smile. The prices are remarkably cheap for housing and fascinating wooden cottages abound.

So Melbourne seems so very far away from here both physically and meataphorically and I will wear that wretched bike helmet as I ride and may even purchase an anti cancer hat, just so I can blend in.


Love Janette

Popular Posts