Goks Fashion Fix

Without Prejudice

I would have to say apart from writing my most favourite thing is Fashion. Fabulous fashion that makes a woman into her desired shape. I never knew until I watched Gok Wan's fabulous Fashion fix that all designers work on a mannequin with an hour glass shape. And I have one, so I love the show his designs and his making any garment bought on the High Street into a stunner designer outfit with a few designer touches.

I guess the most expensive part of an outfit would have to be the material it is made from. Nowhere is that more revealed than by touch. Designer fabrics have a quality feel that can not be mistaken. But to most women it's the look it gives you that is important. If you can change from an apple shape or a straight up and down shape or a pear shape to an hourglass shape in the way you dress that's a desired thing.

Gok says most women don't dress for their shape and spend a lot of money on not knowing what suits or fits. Following fashion trends gets to be confusing and some are just down right horrid no matter who is wearing them. Shapeless is awful, too long is awful, too short is awful unless you are a teenager and then anything suits.

I have watched so many shows now, (much to my brothers disgust---he prefers bloody, gory action ) that I am dying to get out and find a few treasures and transform them with braid, ribbon, jewellery, hair and make up. I want to try out his theories and see how they come out. He rips things apart and puts them back together with hand sewing, glueing, spray painting and his oufits tansform from basic and plain to something out of this world.

Just shows it takes a gay man to dress a woman. And unlike gay designers he loooooves a woman's shape and says so. he calls breasts bangers and is forever admiring of them, hmm, maybe he's not gay after all ! But it doesn't matter if you are a tiny size 6 or a fabulous big girl of 24 he can find a way to dress you and evrything he does looks amazing. When did we give up dressing up ? When did we become slves to fashion trends ?

The era he loves the most is the 50's and thats the era I love most too. Gok calls it an era when women were at their most elegant and confident and I would have to agree with that. Other men I have known have said it too. One male saying he loved going to the Melbourne Cup Races as women wore frocks and looked ultra feminine. He loved the rustle of silk skirts, frills, lace and pretty dresses. Ladies that wore gloves and hats and smelled fabulous.

The 50's was the era I was born into. My sister and I wore matching dresses made for us by a seamstress. We would stand for what seemed like hours as dresses were pinned.  Fluffy angora "fuzzy Wuzzy" boleros were made for us as well in pastel colours. We wore gloves and hats and went off to Sunday School like little princesses, dressed in our finery.

Not for us jeans of denim or trousers of any kind. When I first became a fashion devotee was about 11 and I asked my mum to buy me Peadl Pushers and they didn't suit me at all. They clung to my thighs and bottom and as I was already starting to lay down a feminine shape they did nothing for my curves. I had a good sized bust by the time I was 11 or 12 and had the hips, legs and bum to match.

I took off the pedal pushers of blue and pink and put on instead skirts with waists and dresses the same. By the time we had gone to Mount Martha I had already developed a sense of style. Mum bought me a pink frock with a chiffon coat over it that floated and was gathered at the back with a bow. I had a ghingham dress with a frill at the hem in fawn and white and I wore it with my first pair of tiny kitten heels.

Once we were in the UK, I was able to roll my kilted pleated Grammar School uniform over at the waist and loosen the tie, and pulled out the white shirt we had to wear underneath my blazer. I begged for a duffle coat lined on the hood with fur that I stitched on myself. I wore lace knee high scoks and Mary Jane patent leather shoes instead of the clumpy regulation brogues we were supposed to wear. I was always in trouble but I didn't give a bollocks. Other girls started following me and I knew my look was a winner.

I shopped in the High street for my first outfit to wear to the School dance and it was a balck stretch cord dress, staright up and down with a lace collar and cuffs and a thin belt. When I went to the Mecca on Saturday afternoons and Monday nights I wore that and a pink lace dress and a black and white checkerboard dress which was a cheap knock off of a Mary Quant dress.

The hippy era arrived when I turned 14 and 15 and I saved and saved my pocket money for a floral hippy short dress with matching frilled blooners. I also bought a frilled pruple satin blouse with a deep vee neck and cut up my sisters brand new mini burgundy kilt. I didn't think she was ever going to wear it and she punished me badly for stealing it. Mum always said,
"First up, best dressed" in our house.

My sister also had a divine little navy and white spotted dress with white crocheted flowers on the bodice and I loved it. And made it mine by shortening the hem to a mini. I shopped at boutiques for accesories and felt very daring when I wore tiny cow bell earrings. I shopped at Boots for pancake make up by Max Factor and lined my eyes with a PVC liner that could be peeled off in one strip. I also bought false eye lashes and wore them to the Mecca.

I was so lucky to be a teenager in that era. The UK was the fashion capital of the world at that stage with Biba and Carnaby Street, Mary Quant, Twiggy rocking tiny little minis and baby doll dresses. I bought a zip up fitted coat dress in Teal for my Sisters engagement and wore high waisted minis and the first time "stay up" stockings arrived in Leeds I was one of the first to get them. Then tights arrived and women all over the world were never as happy I am sure. Gone were the fiddly stockings and suspenders.

I had lace up boots in shiny black PVC that I wore to death and bought another pair as soon as they wore out. I was as the Kinks sang"A Dedicated Follower Of Fashion " and cut out pictures of what I wanted from Magazines. And when I went back to Australia when I was 16 I took all my British clothes with me


To be continued

Popular Posts