The House I have always wanted.

Without Prejudice







The house I have always wanted would be absolute beach front in a quiet place away from tourist spots and high rises. Just serenity and peace and quiet, negative ions filling the air as they do at the seaside. The fresh breezes blowing out the dust of the soul, the bracing winds freshening mind and spirit, to a new day every day, a new start. The sea is different every day, a changing kaleidoscope of colour, reflecting back the sky.

The house I want I will know when I see it. It will be a grand old dame of a Queenslander with Verandah back and front. Fake wrought iron will cover the corners as real will only rust and need constant maintenance. There will be a tiny rusted gate stuck in the sand that will lead to the beach. My own private beach as are all the beaches here.

The house will be brick of course as I have no need of long term maintenance on weathered boards and on the shaded side to the sea will be a sheltered verandah where one can sunbake and not be annoyed by wind, or drifting stinging sand. There will be lots of windows facing the sea. they will be slightly milky with salt and I won't care.

The floors will be honeyed wood, worn smooth in places by sand covered summer feet. I will not re gloss them preferring the smoothness of old timber under my bare feet at all times. My feet will be polished toed and healthy, brown and tanned all year round. The kitchen window will face the sea so I can look out at the ever changing scenery, every day, 3 times a day.

And when the heat comes I will be having closed off rooms and air conditioning, mainly for the humidity which can be draining up here. You have to not go as cold with air conditioning when it's humid. When I worked at the Sheraton they told me that air conditioning cuts out a 36 degrees anyway. I find the easiest way to get through the heat is to have lots of showers.

The kitchen will be large with a big table in the middle and lots of ranges for cooking for a lot. There will be an old fat cream coloured fridge, a ceramic water purifier on one bench and a juicer on another. The cupboards will be old fashioned with lead light panels or frosted pimple dimpled glass. One will be suspended over the breakfast bar. a timber cupboard with glass sliding doors containing the crockery.

There will be a Coonara in the family room, which is massive and takes up nearly a whole wall like an Inglenook fireplace. There will be lots of comfy squashed leather couches that must be comfortable to sleep on and some are covered in mink style blankets of rich brown and cashmere throws.

There will be bedrooms at the rear or the front not sure:  with louvred windows to let in the breezes from the sea. Muslin tinted in various hues will cover the windows, fire bright orange and creamy yellow, vibrant acqua. I want them to blow in the breezes and ruffle and drift. The floors will be wooden right throughout even in the bedrooms, bright thick heavy rugs covering the floors here and there.

The bathroom will be vast with a claw footed bath in one corner and there will be a private view of glass to the beach but not allowing anyone to see back in. The bath will have the old fashioned hardware of stainless steel shower rose and chrome handles and taps in a long line behind your head.

The washstand will be mahogany timber with hand made tiles at the splashback. Something like Irises or lavender sprays maybe climbing roses intertwined. There will be shiny carriage rails baskets full to the top with fluffy soft towels in lilacs and raspberry red and pink, which I shall have to have dyed by hand to get the right shade.

Its sounds sumptuous and I will be there as soon as pigs start to fly,


This beach cottage would be more my style


Love Janette

Popular Posts