The Engagement Party

Without Prejudice



I wore a great dress to Dave and Heidy's engagement party. In the end it was an easy choice, a short tight strapless dress in tropical florals , good heels, pearls at neck and ears and a bright red evening cardi with bangles and cuff at the wrists. hair dead straight and curved into points at chin length. Chanel perfume of course.

my younger Sis arrived early to pick me up, she wore jeans, black chiffon top and a belt I had bought her. We complimented each other on choice of outfit, sprayed our hair and were out the door before you could say, engagement party.

We could have walked there as my two brothers live not very far apart in the quiet and sleepy haven called Redcliffe. As small as it is ,my older brother lives in one suburb, Clontarf, and younger brother in another, Margate

The house is 3 storeys and we could see the lanterns downstairs from the road. lights in bags lined the driveway and entry and red heart balloons swung in the breeze from the top floor back balcony.

The spa downstairs was on, inside pool table, bar and dance floor. The curved timber staircase was decorated with flashing hearts. Balloons in abundance and a man at the bar waiting to take our orders for cocktails.

Caterers preparing food in the open kitchen, the front balcony open to the sea opposite and table set and lit with candles. Dave was handsome in tux and red bow tie, Heidy in a black one shoulder dress. Helen and I circulated a little and she ordered orange juice while I had a gin and tonic and thought about what cocktail I would have.

People arrived early and there was a good crowd, good music and only 4 little kids, all related to me and all as cute as cute can be. I spent a good amount of time playing ring a ring a rosy with them and " I wrote a letter to my love" with a paper napkin called in to service as the hanky.

I sat on the floor with them and one grabbed my vintage Oroton black bag and another my gold cuff. they seemed happy enough and only at the end became tired and grumpy as 2 and 3 year olds
can be. So polite and well behaved they were and it crossed my mind as to what Acer and Cruz would be like here and I had visions of them tearing around over balconies and stairs. Boys being boundless balls of energy and naughtiness.

The food was nibbles with delightful morsels of salmon and dill and dried tomato mouse, then noodle boxes with Thai beef or chicken and rice. my younger brother asked where the party
Pies and cheezels were and laughed.

There was cake and speeches, good conversation and music, lots and lots of alcohol, a very patient bar man, young and unruffled by demands and a friendly young waiter serving the food. All in all it was a delightful party. my sister and I left when the little kids were starting to tire, as we were as well, she had been up since six and so had I'

she'd had a full on day of football with her thirteen year old son and he was man of the match. I had decided to clean my brother's outside downstairs area, tables, chairs, BBQ and paved floor and was to tell the truth, knackered. We came home put our feet up and watched Gok Wan styling women and then called it a night.

My older bother and his party of 2 arrived later and went straight to bed. Thats one thing I notice about "up here", everyone goes to bed early and gets up at the crack of dawn. I'm an insomniac and have to be knocked out cold to sleep unassisted and can never sleep in. I wish !

Anyway, I digress, it was a fabulous party, well done to all and to Dave and Heidy my best wishes on their engagement.

Love Janette

Popular Posts