The Bronze Wine 71 XY GT

Without Prejudice






The first one we bought was white, a 71 Ford Fairmont with the Number Plate KYL, we lived in an old house in Oakleigh then. The car cost $2,400 and we bought it brand new from Gary and Warren Smith in Oakleigh. It was to be our pride and joy for a while. We had two little girls in 12 months. I was 19 by then and totally and utterly absorbed in the raising of them. Unbeknownst to us then, 17 years later or so our first Grandchild would be born, a boy named Kyle.

We had to sell it after a while to buy our house in Keysie, which then cost (with ensuite and 4 bedrooms) $17,500. The car had to go and he bought an old work ute as that was more practical. we both worked full time to afford the house, and his Sister minded the two girls. He nearly cried when we had to sell the car as we couldn't afford both new car and mortgage. It remained his dream to buy another and next time it would be a "Shaker", the H.O.  Ford G.T.

He saw a man at the shop once with one and he said the guy polished  it with a hankie as he saw my husband looking at it with envious eyes. By the time we were able to afford one they cost a lot more than $2,400. I did buy one for $4,200 in the the mid eighties but not a Ho. It was a 71 Fairmont, British Racing Green 351 and I loved it. While I was at improv in Drama class pretending I was a can of tomatoes someone nicked it from the car park at Rusden Teachers College and I was devastated.

Devastated,  and I was never to see it again. But my hubby worked his way up to a Collectors item of a GT, Bronze Wine in Colour. 12 coats of paint, the stripe had to be specially done. It had the "Shaker" on the bonnet of course, also hand painted and a new interior. Mine had been more original, still had the hand crank sun roof.

His was lovely though and they are worth a fortune now. Before we got to the H.O. though we had a Rover, (Lemon of a thing) XD Ghia, great car, a Dino Ferrari, only a small Ferrari, A Limited Edition Jeep Cherokee and an LTD, a gold one. We also had when we were poor a Datsun 180B, I had an original Mini and I would still have another, original one, though.

We had an F100, which was a work horse, a few S model Valiants, done up and a Valiant Ute, brand new, which was also a lemon and had to go back. But the GT was his pride and joy. It went like a bat out of hell. The best car he ever owned and he loved it.

He too polished it with a hanky when he thought someone was looking. Women aren't as interested in cars as men. But there were cars I loved too and was sad to see go. I had a Bluebird station wagon that was so easy to drive and so trustworthy and I loved the Jeep after getting over the fact that I thought it was a truck and cried when he gave it to me.

I loved it after a while though as it fitted the girls and the dogs in easily. We did use it as a 4 wheel drive too on Rainbow Beach and Fraser Island. Cars, a mans best friend after his dog.


love Janette xoxox

Popular Posts