Myopia or near Sightedness

Without Prejudice

Nearsightedness, or myopia, as it is medically termed, is a vision condition in which close objects are seen clearly, but objects farther away appear blurred. Nearsightedness occurs if the eyeball is too long or the cornea, the clear front cover of the eye, has too much curvature. As a result, the light entering the eye isn’t focused correctly and distant objects look blurred.


Nearsightedness is a very common vision condition affecting nearly 30 percent of the  population. Some research supports the theory that nearsightedness is hereditary. There is also growing evidence that it is influenced by the visual stress of too much close work.

Generally, nearsightedness first occurs in school-age children. Because the eye continues to grow during childhood, it typically progresses until about age 20.

All my life I have been near sighted, if I take my glasses off things get blurred. I take them off at home as I hate wearing glasses. They are annoying and a pain. I also like to take them off if I am doing housework as the dust is at times just too confronting. I wore contacts for a while. Hard ones. They killed to wear as my eye ball was always wanting to go back to its rounded shape.

I then tried soft contact lenses but they were also uncomfortable and fiddly to put in and take out. They had to be scrupulously clean and I had a hard time coping with all the fuss and bother. I don't need glasses to read so I just wear my glasses and be done with it.

I guess I have grown used to seeing the world in soft focus. It's nice sometimes to not have to see things so clearly and sharp. When I first wore contacts I was disgusted at the wrinkles on my face especially round my eyes. I kooked a hundred to me and I was only in my thirties. A face as it gets older is much nicer in soft blurred vision. My ex Mother In Law is still doing close work well into her 80's and it makes me pig sick.

My friend Sylvia found out in her 50's she had to wear reading glasses and she has never ever stopped whining since. I tell her to shut up as I've been wearing mine since I was 11 and have hated it all these years. I've grown used to it I guess and really don't care. Enough men make passes at women that wear glasses nowadays anyway.

I love them on men. I think men who wear glasses are sexy, they look both strong and vulnerable all at the same time and I find that very sexy. Calrk kent syndrome I call it. Men are good looking until they are old anyway. Women get hit with the ugly stick after menopause. You become invisible when you are over 50. No one looks at you any more.

Unless you are like me and lose at least 20 kilos and then men suddenly start looking again, but now I totally ignore them as I am so used to not being looked at. The loss of "pretty" and "young" affects a lot of women over 50 and you either have to take a devil may care attitude or you won't survive old age. You can help it along I suppose and if I had the money I would gladly do it. I don't know why people get all coy about it. The only thing I would worry about would be the pain. Any plastic surgery is painful and it's really painful.

Never believe a doctor who says you will only have a bit of discomfort, they lie ! I had plastic surgery on my sagging stomach after I had 4 kids in 6 years and it was pain that I still remember and come out in a hot sweat just thinking about it. Be prepared to have pain but it's worth it if you look ten years younger or so. I'd definitely do it and I would put up with the excruciating pain. We only live once, why the hell not ?

I had the worst sagging skin when I stripped the weight off. I looked fugly with even my calves wrinkling and my forearms, they are getting better now. The Doctor said it would take 12 months and it has. How do I feel now? I feel fabulous and ready to take on the world. But then I'm turning 60 this year and really seriously could not give a toss. I have a lover if I want who is 35 and I don't want him as he is too young! Simple as that. He is too young so I shun him as he needs to have a girl his age and a couple of kids.

I encourage everyone to have kids as they are the best. Nothing can beat having kids, I feel that's what we are here for, well for the Grand kids they produce anyway. I love the little ones and now I have a great grand kid, I am over the moon. Kids are great levellers, keep you working until you are old, challenge you daily and love you unconditionally. Unless you have brought them up wrong and then that's your fault !

Don't overindulge them, over spoil them and they will usually turn out all right unless they are Sociopaths or Psychopaths and then you should shun them and run for the hills.


Love Janette

Popular Posts