My BIG Boss 2

Without Prejudice



I sat back at me desk and switched back on to work.
"Stupid idiot", I thought, "As if"
Powerful, handsome, arrogant men were no longer my cup of tea and I just ignored any feelings I had and kept my head down for the rest of the day. I needed the job, I needed to get out of where I was and into my own place and that was that. I was a grown up, after all. Although I am not too sure how many 50 year olds had the life I had. One minute I was playing Chris Brown and dancing or head banging to the Angels. What Grandmother of 12 does that ?

I arrived early the next morning at work determined to find a place to live, no matter what. The Office was deserted or so I thought and I clicked on Google and started searching Real Estate.com for a house. Going on the Internet is usually a big no no at work and I could only search while no one was in the office.
"Sprung", said a voice behind me and I jumped, guiltily in my chair.

It was him, Mr Big, as I was to come to call him, Gabriel Moore.

He put a hand on my shoulder and said,
"Don't worry, we're not anal about things like that"

He scooted backwards up on to the desk beside me and I must admit I glanced once at some mighty firm thighs and looked away. He started chatting and I just kept on working, beavering away as if my life depended on it.

"Where are you looking for a house?" He asked.
"Noble Park"
"I'm an old Noble Park, boy"
"Mmm, really!"
"Yes, I went to Chandler High for a while"

My girls had gone there and I said so and he ended up going back to his desk and I just kept working and peeping every so often at him cross the office. Fascinated and repelled all at the same time. he was young, he was obviously wealthy, he had that arrogant manner that men like him have and all I could think was,
"Not for you, no way, no how, now shut up"

So I kept looking for houses and applying and going on fruitless viewings to see new abodes and there were 15 people ahead of me at each one. My time with working full time was limited and I kept on searching on the Internet and via a Real Estate Agent friend I had. She found a few for me and I would have to go after work and I wouldn't get home till late and the process would start all over again. It was exhausting, dis spiriting and I felt like I was going backwards.

One of the ladies from Bombardier rang me. She now worked for Drake personnel the firm I had worked for. I told her about the "dish" and she said the same thing I was thinking,
"Not a chance", work was work and that was it.
"Golden Balls" had plenty of work for me, as sis William and Gary and I learned the system fairly quickly and just kept my head down and bum up. I kept up conversations with Lynn-Anne and told her of my search for a house. She also pitched in and helped and every day I liked her more and more. She was a sweet lady, sincere, good hearted and wickedly funny. We got along like a house on fire and I knew that Stenka and Golden Balls treated her like she was their own personal slave. I sat back and watched them sometimes.

Both were elitist and thought somehow their privileged positions gave them some sort of advantage over her. I didn't like their behaviour but thought it was none of my business and I wouldn't interfere. Stenka especially thought she was a little above her station as she was best friends with one of the Directors. She sat behind the Sexy Beast as I came to call him and did everything but do her job. Accounts. She had accounts piled up from three months previously and often came to my desk and moaned about it.

I just smiled and said not a lot as I knew her next step and wasn't about to volunteer my services to the lazy cow. She liked to wear David Jones style work clothes and Fletcher Jones tailored skirts. She would tell me she was working out and I just said nothing. I was so envious of her having the time. She acted like she was always busy. But mainly she just liked swanning around, looking like she was the bees knees and was so self important it wasn't funny.

She often took the foreign visitors on a tour of the work place and kept up a steady banter with them. I was at the stage where I was dragging anything on in the mornings, just to get to work. The girls were still pinching my clothes and make up and putting them on and the longing for my own place grew stronger and stronger. I decided I would give Sexy beast a wide berth but one day he and I were the only ones there in the empty office and I decided to test him out.

I always headed for the kitchen as soon as I was at work and one morning I wheeled left instead of right and plonked my self down in front of his desk. His eyes flicked towards me in surprise, just once and he kept on staring at the computer screen for a bit, then he turned and looked at me. And being me, I just started talking, and talking and we were still there talking as the office filled up. He being such an important man, the Head of Engineering, was soon called away and I went and fetched my coffee at last.

One weekend I stayed at my oldest daughters place and her new puppy ate the back of my favourite pair of vintage shoes. I had to go straight to work the next morning, chewed shoe and all. I decided to test Sexy Beast out so I went straight to the kitchen. I thought if he likes me he will follow me and I knew he didn't drink tea or coffee.

"How was your weekend?", a voice asked me from behind. I didn't turn around and kept my face firmly faced at the coffee machine.
"Devastating!"
"Why?"
"I stayed at my daughters on the weekend and her pup ate the back of one of my favourite shoes!"
And I angled out my ankle and showed him the damage.

He was slightly taken aback I could tell. He must have been thinking, this bird is so not normal. Which I am not. I'm a clown sometimes, very impulsive and given to acts of ridiculousness. He hesitated and then examined my shoe, the engineer that he was.

"You could fix that" he said.
"How?"
"Grab a pair of scissors and just trim it, then you cam still wear them"
"Oh, good idea, thanks" and I finally looked at him and smiled.

We both went off to our respective desks. Later in the day I saw him leading a party of important guests through the Office.
"Gabriel", I called as he passed my desk.
He turned, surprised.
He was all puffed up and important, doing his job.
"The trick with the scissors". I said and he looked puzzled, his guests waiting impatiently, champing at the bit to get going.
"It worked!" I said and showed him the shoe still attached to my foot and grinned.
He looked like he wanted to shoot me and said,
"Excellent" and also grinned and led his party away. I knew instinctively he would pay me back for my audacity but I didn't care.

Stenka came over one day and asked if I would help her with accounts. I said to ask William and Gary, which she did. I helped her one afternoon, she had said it was her 3 month backlog of accounts. Suppliers were threatening to cut off supply as the accounts weren't paid. I set to with a vengeance and it took me, exactly that, one afternoon! I looked around for more. She thought I was legend and I thought she was lazy.

That week I went to the Albury plant with the most enormously fat man I had ever seen. he was sweeat and delightful and took me out for dinner in Albury,. He was happily married, talked about his family a lot, but I worried about his size, he was gargantuan. At Albury I asked for the guru of the clunky old system that we used for accounts. He happily shared his knowledge and I spent a great afternoon with him, learning. I then went back to DSI armed with my new found knowledge.

I spent all day the next day mastering it and by 2pm was ready to give up and within another hour I had it mastered. I was triumphant and ran downstairs and told Lynn_Anne, she was amazed. She and the rest had had to have 3 weeks training on it and still didn't "Get" it and I had mastered it in a day. But then I had been in a lot of temp jobs by then and had to hit the ground running at all of them. Learning on the job and being thrown in at the deep end in each. I was so rapt to get it in such a short space of time but the Guru at Albury's secrets had definitely helped.

I am always curious like that. I firmly believe that if I can't learn a system inside of 3 weeks I might as well give up.

Popular Posts