Sex, the cane and naughty schoolgirls 18

Without Prejudice

We never ever seem to have enough money. Dad wants to run his own business and do his Music but there never seems to be enough money, ever. Jay and I are supposed to ask for free school dinners and him and I talked about it and I'd rather die and so would he. Not that I talk that much to him, he spends most of his time in his room. Mum calls him a "vampire" Ha ha.

Dennis is now calling himself, Dalek Dave and loves Dr Who. He signs his letters to John, Dalek Dave. He is such a funny strange little boy. We, Denise and I took him to the flix to see the Doctor Who and The Daleks movie, so boring but he liked it. The Police came knocking about the girl that was stabbed, they haven't found her killer and I can't believe it. Surely someone must have seen something or heard something. A girl just can't be stabbed like that and someone gets away with it.

Caroline is up and about now but she's still best friends with Pauline, so it's just Denise and I going around together. We had to buy the 45 record of Sonny And Cher, she is so good looking and he's funny in his woolly lamb waistcoat. they are Hippies and are all about Flower Power and we buy matching cow bell earrings. Denise's are pierced and have been since she was little. I'm too scared to get mine done. Dad makes fun of our earrings and asks us are we going to herd sheep.

I love my room, or our room, I should say. Mum gets the English Womens Weekly and The Women's Own delivered every week with Beano and Girls Crystal for me. I love stretching out on my pink candlewick bedspread and reading and reading. Mum has to read her mags first, then I can have them. Granny Wilsher has given us some books too. A tree grows in Brooklyn and A Gown Of Glory. Love them both and finished them quickly so Jenny could read them too. Reading is like being taken to another place, another world and I love it. No one believes me when I say I've finished them. But I can read really fast.

We are off to Bridlington tomorrow where Aunty Nat and Uncle Eric have a "static Caravan", we are going to stay over, just me and Dennis and it's near the sea and a village so should be loads of fun. I am trying to be more lady like as Mum says I should be and not such a tomboy. Denise can't come as we don't have enough room, how can I bear being away from my best friend for 3 days? Ah well at least I'll be away from Mum and Dad and Jenny and Jay and that can only be a good thing. Jay is such a hermit now. His voice has deepened and he looks like he has a moustache. He never goes anywhere, just collects his Spiderman and Marvel comics and his stupid dumb toy soldiers.

Him and Dennis have built a war zone in their room and play tanks and make model airplanes and hang them from the ceiling. They hardly ever let us in there, Jenny or I, so we peek when they are not home. Boys are so dumb. Jay waits all week to watch Doctor Who and I wait all week to watch Top Of The Pops. Mum   saw a man on there called Tom Jones and she said he was going to be a star. He looks like a bit of a greaser to me and I don't think he's good at all, but she does and kept on raving about him. There's a man called P.J.Proby whose pants ripped on stage when he was singing Somewhere from West Side Story. I think he will go far, even if he is a bit rude.

I love Cilla Black too with her hair and Lulu and Dusty of course. Sandie Shaw is so tall she never wears shoes and Jenny can sing Helen Shapiro better than she can but I don't tell her that or she'll get a big head. Dad needs to get more gigs and then we'll have more money. Mum could go back to the mills with Auntie Nat and Pam but she hates it. We've found an old glass carboy and Mum's filled it up with water and we're putting all our coins in it to get back to Australia, one day. We can't empty it and we can't break it so lets hope we can get it full. It stands about two foot high and we'll see how much dosh it takes. We are all so determined to go back when the weather is cold and at the moments it's warm so we shall see.

Popular Posts