Men And Women

Without Prejudice


Staying with my older brother is interesting, he's single as am I and you have never in your life met any two people as opposite. I'm a Germaine Greer clone from the 70's, a baby boomer as is he. He's an old fashioned man from the sixties more. He has definite opinions on females and I thought I had definite opinions of men, but they are open to change.

When I was growing through my teens I was a rebel with a cause and he was shy and withdrawn. I was out at the Mecca dancing to Manfred Mann, The Beatles, The Who, switching from being a Mod, Rocker or Greaser, which ever fashion happened to suit me. He stayed home, studied and collected comics and soldiers. he's older by me than two years.

I've always felt the little Sister and he my Big brother. We used to fight like cat and dog. I mean punch ons, he would usually win, but I did manage to get him back a few times. We'd fight over the most ridiculous things. He liked Dr Who and I liked the Monkees so the Beeb in the UK had to put it on at the same time on Saturday nights. Oh my God! Fight. We would belt each other. Then Mum and Dad would come home and sort us both out.

We are older now and much more adult but we still fight. Verbally, now but I am going to behave myself for once and not be so feminist and try as hard as I can to think more like a Man. He will try to connect with his feminine side. men do when they are older. He watches Games Of Thrones, Car Races and Boardwalk Empire stuff. I will watch with him and am getting to enjoy it. I watch Lifestyle channel, ad nauseum and he doesn't mind Gok Wan now. We both love the same movies, luckily and luckily he has Foxtel, so we can tape, freeze, rewatch and there are a lot less arguments.

I have always lived cheek bu jowl with loads of kids. He has been for the last few years a loner. He likes his own company, so do I. Neither of us has ever been bored by ourselves. There's always something, social life, Family, hobbies, books to read, fun to have and we both love English shows and English humour and "our Aunty Betty who lives in Yorkshire, still at 90. We have different personalities now, as adults. I am more the shy withdrawn one and he is out there on the stage of glittering life.

He has strong opinions on women and I have them on Men. We have both been hurt by life, many times. I by men and him by Women but I remain hopeful and he doesn't. He's a great business man and I am a great Mum and writer. He reckons he could probably write if he had the time. It would probably be about something to do with the second World War. That's his passion War. And what's mine? Music, fashion, kids and writing and love, romantic, blinding love. I am a romantic, he reckons he is too but he lies.

He says the problem lies in that Men don't think like Women and vice versa. That's so true it's not funny. I said to him I would hate to be a Man. He says it's great. I don't believe him. I say Women are ruled by their emotions and Men don't have feelings, they have logic. He says men have feelings. I say then why do men say about their girlfriends or Wives, to their friends,

"Oh, yeah, that's right, now I have to have "Feelings" The stress on the Feelings word as if it was some hateful disease.
He nods and agrees. I can see how men would be confused.

Women have hormones, emotions, feelings, nurturing instincts and are soft. Men have to think with logic to survive as men. We don't have to. In fact we don't have to do anything but be nurturing and kind and sweet to survive in a mans world. men have to contend with other men. And lets face it men are strong, physically strong, most of them. Women will never have that. But we like it.

I tell him women are still 2nd class citizens in the world. He says their trickery and manipulation can devastate a man. I agree but tell him not all women are the same. We change our minds ten times a day if not more. We hate men to tell us we are fat even if they are just stating the truth. Women are complex creatures. But we do like men. Well I do. But he no longer likes nor trusts women.

I tell him, that's stupid, does he want to be on his own forever, now ? Yes, he replies, Women cost him money and men hate to lose money. Women don't care about money they just want to be loved and cared for and protected I tell him. Not the women he's had, he states. I give up. So does he. he does compromise with me now though and I with him as it's easier that way. We will never ever speak the same language, how can we? Although as they get older some men discover a more nurturing side and women can discover a more man like stance.

I'm like that with my love life and other women I know are too. Syl calls it the,
"The why are you still here" attitude. Or,
"I know we had sex but what do you mean, you want breakfast/"
I have never known a man to be happy with a part time relationship but I know many women who have. As they age women get tired of looking after everyone else, especially men, as they are so hopeless at looking after themselves. They really are and that's how we really see them. As work. More work. we have worked all our lives for others and men have the attitude well she'll look after me and a lot of men are lazy at home.

They see the home as Women's work. Don't worry I have canvassed many men on this including all my grown grandsons, co workers and family. And they all say it.Men like to be looked after and women like looking after them up to a point. I'm not being mean, that's just the way it is. Men usually remarry after a death or divorce, women don't so much, Hmmmm, room for thought.

I had one male co worker tell me the truth, he was a lovely man and he was in his 30's. He said he will ask his wife where something is as he know she will go look for it. he said he wasn't being mean but said,
"why buy a dog when you can bark yourself?"
In other words he knows if he asks she will fetch, so why bother looking for it himself. I protested,
"But your wife has just had your first baby?
He just shrugged,
And as for shopping, apparently men's stress levels when shopping with a woman are akin to fighting in full mortal combat. Ah poor men.  xoxo



Love Janette

Popular Posts