Men And Their Health

Without Prejudice

I think it's really dumb of men not to look after their health as much as Women do. Why? Especially when they get older. Do Men just think if they ignore things they go away? My older Brother and I watched RPA. An older man had a mole on the back of his neck and by the time he went to the Doctors you could have fit your fist in the hole. He had to have major surgery and a flap of skin grafted out of his shoulder that looked like 2 -3 kilos in weight. Massive!

When my Dad found out at 69 He was Type One Diabetic, the Doctors said he could have had it for ten years, undiagnosed. That's just silly. Why don't men go in time? Go and have a simple mole checked or a pee test if they think they are putting on weight at the belly. My Dad hated to inject himself in the stomach everyday, hated it he told me when he was dying from Prostate Cancer. They took him off insulin then and the Doctors thought he would slip into a coma but he didn't. The cancer was feeding on the insulin so he didn't have to inject anymore but he opted out of treatment for the Prostate cancer. Why?

Do men perhaps think they are invincible, that they are so hardy that everything just takes care of itself ?
Belly fat in older Men could be down to low Testosterone, do they ever have their levels checked? After I had a hysterectomy I was told that any interruption of the blood supply to the ovaries could put me into early menopause. So every six months I had my blood levels checked. One day it was nil. No Oestrogen, whatsoever. Gone. Packed up, My sex drive was non existent and that was the one thing I feared.

My sex drive was most important at that age. I had a younger lover of 12 years and his wasn't about to wane. So I went on Oestrogen to replace the nil hormone score and things improved. Then I was given a boost of Testosterone injections, to boost my sex drive. Did it ever ! I was like a purring cat and chased my fiance all over the house. I finally knew what it was like to have a sex drive like a man. I had no side effects, none and had one injection for a month for 3 months. My Doctor laughed when I said I loved them. I hate needles and yet I was lined up at the door for the 2nd and 3rd shots.

I came to Queensland a few years ago and spoke to a hysterical Canadian Doctor, only young. My sex drive had started to wane again and once again I missed it. Had lost it and seemed to be searching to find it like a lost set of keys, He said,
"Maybe it's your lovers and not you!"
"What do you mean?"
Maybe they're not good lovers"
"Oh!"

I decided right then and there he was probably right and after I went back to Victoria ditched the Irish one and the Manchester one and went back to being single for a while.
He also said,
"Do you want to try Premarin"
"What?"
Pregnant Mares Urine"
"Why?"
Pregnant Mares Urine is what Premarin is made from and it's HRT.
OK.

He also asked as I could not sleep did I want to try Ambien.
"Didn't Heath Ledger Have that and he died?"
"Oh, he didn't die from Ambien, prescription drugs, mostly"
Oh. Ok.

So I hadn't slept in about 5 days as I had given up smoking, this was 4 years ago and I took it back up within a month. I can never sleep when I give up smoking as insomnia seems to go with withdrawal. I learned for the next time, however and used patches for the first month that eased withdrawal and I was successful at long last.

I had to go with my Sis to a Soroptomists weekend at North Stradbroke Island. I took my first and only Ambien that night. My Sister said I was reading the paper on the floor and within half an hour went face down on it, She and a few others hauled my big fat ass and packed me off to bed. Not before I pushed her away and said .
"I want my Other Sister, I want my Other Sister' and I turned and tried to get outside the house we were at and was led by several hands to my room and collapsed face down on the bed after saying,
"I'm not even taking my clothes off !" And fell asleep face down like I was in a coma. Best nights sleep I had in forever but I decided the Ambien were not for me.

But at least I try these things so why don't Men? They want to live long and well, just the same as us? These days there is so much bloody brilliant Medical Technology available why not use it? Tests are easy and keyhole surgery abounds. Why leave everything until it might be too late ? If you are an older Man, get your cholesterol, heart function, liver function, prostate, blood sugar all checked. It's so much easier to fix something in the early stages. Much better than dying of it, or having some massive chunk taken out of your shoulder to cover a hole in  the back of your neck, the size of a fist.

As the surgeon said, 15 minutes in the surgery two years before or fifteen hours of operating to fix the problem after ? It's up to you guys, but I really think you should look after yourselves as people are living longer and you need to be well. Health is the first Wealth.

Love Janette

Popular Posts