Who's Guarding The Guards ?

Without Prejudice




it's disturbing to read that Google has been charged with stealing data. That cars that take surveillance photos for Google maps can steal your data from your computer from unprotected WiFi. Was allowed to by Google. That our digital prints on the World Wide Web can be used to up sell, to greedy advertisers or worse. Does everything have to come at a price? Apple has been charged with using a factory in China for its products where the conditions are so bad, people have committed suicide.

So, who is guarding the guards?

I did legal studies in 85. We were told then that as the population grows, more and more laws have to be made. But the Internet grows at such a rapid rate, how can laws keep up ? And where do we go from here. Are all businesses just after more and more profit ? Is that always the bottom line. People used to have conversations, phone each other, talk face to face, now it's emails, text messaging, face book conversations with emoticons. What happened to emotions ? Have the toys we once loved become our only way of conversing ?

I hardly use a mobile phone any more. It's annoying. Do I really need to be reached everywhere I go, am I that important. I was at a friends a while ago, everyone in the room was either on their smart phone or IPad. There was no conversation for ages. Just the tapping of fingers. Facebook growth is slowing. We are people, not robots. Are we that keen to show how savvy we are with a cool new phone ?. I don't need an emoticon to smile for me. I can do it myself.

Does it smack of Big Brother. No not that Big Brother, but George Orwells book, 1984. That is the first thing I thought of when introduced to the Internet, 16 years ago. It scared me. I could see that it could one day see into peoples homes. Not far wrong, now. What we should be able to have is privacy in our own places. Now that's under threat. Do we really need to see the outside of a persons home on Google maps ?

And what of the sat nav. We used one last weekend my brother and I and we're totally lost and heading for a lake.Another silly gadget to spend money on. I like the old method, get a map and get lost and ask someone. Trouble is evryone is indoors playing on their IPhone. But there might be one good thing in it. the sat nav. And here is my idea.

I've always thought the good test of any relationship is to be running late for a party and the wife has the map and the hubby is driving. Add in darkness, rain, and the whole thing gets very ugly, very quickly. Nowadays he can turn on his wonderful super new Sat Nav and the wife stays quiet. She could be playing on her diamond encrusted IPhone. As the Sat nav fails to deliver what it's supposed to do and he starts swearing, and it's somehow HER fault, she can rip the fucking thing off the windscreen and whip him over the head with it !


LOL. Janette x

Popular Posts