His Masters Voice

Without Prejudice




Just watched Mark Seymour from the Hunters perform The Holy Grail and James Reyne singing Reckless, Acoustic. OMG, Do yourself a favour my readers and listen, turn the music up as loud as you dare and sit back and just listen. Two outstanding Australian singers, singing live. It's almost palpable the feeling you get, listening to songs played well, sung well. Felt well.

James slides on his words, he doesn't like the snap of words, he wants to slide and slither all over them. It can make for some hilarious results, however. I always thought Beautiful People was Be Bop Beeple for some insane reason until the internet came into being and I could like it up.

But the love of my life, my most fave would have to be Mark Seymour. I have been to his live performances more times that I care to remember. I am just madly in love with his music, the strong bones in his face, his husky dark voice, that speaks of many hard times and good times, "the bedrooms and the bars".

I had my girls present me with his concerts. a girlfriend win tickets on the radio for me and see him at Surfers, so close I could touch him if the bouncer hadn't stopped me. Lol.
I am sure he saw me in the audience then and thought,
"Oh, God No, there's that strange older woman, who wants to "Throw Her Arms Around Me" and rugby tackle me to the ground"
I could have in those days done him permanent damage if I had. Weighing in at a solid 84 kilos I probably would have killed him in the process.

He's a simple man in the end and sings simply of love, death and drug addiction. When I saw  him once he had just come out of a clinic he said. Speed that time I think as in his songs he sings of "snow", "scattered" or maybe its about the Naopleonic War as others like to think. I went to Hunters live with a friend who was a one time junkie and she thought it was about drug addiction.

I didn't care one way or the other, what it was about, I just longed for the music and the words. As in all songs it's the interpretation you put on it and that's what makes for a great song. And a great song writer. He puts his personal life into it, his voice, his thought, his place in life, right at that moment. It might be heartache, it might be financial struggles or the every day. But he will have found his muse, his own Masters Voice and then we take it up as our own.


Love Janette

Popular Posts