The Winter In Queensland Arrives

Without Prejudice

Its June and I have been gone from home at least six weeks now. The coldness of Melbourne is far behind me with it's grey skies that I hate so much. I, hate the Winter and should be able to hibernate like a bear for the duration of it. But I can't so I am in Queensland instead, which to the Americans would be like going to Florida I am guessing. A place where the sun shines eternally on older bones. Not that my bones are that elderly. It's the light I crave, the dark fills me with dread for some reason.

It's strange really my hatred of the grey. I was born in Edinburgh and we are supposed to be hard wired for cold, us Scots. But I am not, I hate it. Sometimes it makes me feel physically sick to be so cold. And I spend a fortune on trying to warm up. Well, no more. I love my Queensland for the Winter as even in the worst of extremes it usually never goes under 18 degrees Celsius or 76 to those with Fahrenheit. The sun shines most days and I love to see it, walk in it, sunbathe in it, bike ride in it.

I am a Melbourne girl and always will be as all my babies are there. 3 girls, 13 grand kids and one great grand kid and all my oldest friends. But for the Winter I am trying something new and bold. I am wintering here and writing like a demon and as am happy as a pig in poop. I can go bare foot and sleeveless. I am not rugged up, muffled up or snuffling. I had a cough in Melbourne that had lasted for months. It disappeared within  a week of being here.

So it must have been psychological. And aren't most things? It seemed almost predestined for me to come here. My great grandchild was born 3 weeks early and only that morning I had thought, I can't take this greyness for 3 more weeks. I was almost despairing. Then within half an hour of that thought came the phone call from Debbie, my oldest child.
"Are you at the Hospital?"
"No, why?"
"They've had the baby"
"What?"
I flew to that Hospital and he was there already born half an hour old.
And even then I was reluctant to go as I didn't want to leave him but fate once again stepped in and gave me a cold. Eyes burning and bones aching as soon as I was home from the hospital. And I went on my Ipad and booked a flight to Brisbane, leaving in 5 days.

I was to see my baby one last time before I travelled, the proud parents brought him over just as I was about to leave, with a giant surgical mask and I was able to hold him at last. Then I was gone.

Flying to freedom and sun and happiness and light. My dream, my destination of delight in Winter and I am here and I am so very happy.

Love Janette

Popular Posts