A Real Life Ghost Story

Without Prejudice

I would never have believed it except I saw it with my own eyes. Would have said before I saw it, that I was the biggest cynic of all things super natural. As a child I had never believed in fairies, the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. I was highly imaginative as a little girl but came from a family of mostly males. They were logical practical and made me the same.

How ever what I was to see as an adult would blow away all my preconceived notions. Made me believe that there was something "else" out there. Something magical and real. Made me believe in an after life, a vision of Heaven and Hell. That people are here for a purpose and truly are accountable for their actions on this planet we call Earth.

It began with a mood. I was restless and bored and had my girls at home in a brand new house. I had decided to go visit a girlfriend. She offered me a drink and I didn't want one, she offered me a smoke and I didn't want one. We just chatted and gossiped about kids, fashion and shoes, relationships, work. I then went home still feeling strange.

Once home I found it hard to settle. The house also felt weird. All the girls had gone to bed and it felt eerie. My girls never went to bed early. It was middle of winter 1991 and sharply cold in the house. I checked all the girls and my baby grandson Kyle, 18 months, who was asleep with his Mum. I turned off the ducted heating and went to bed. I knew I wouldn't sleep well as ever. My sleeplessness was a pain.

I picked up a book on the night stand near my bed and climbed in to the warm bed and snuggled down in it's luxurious warmth. The book was one I had picked up from the library a few days before. I thought the title was about Astrology but it was about Sun Signs and I was disappointed but with nothing else in the room I couldn't be bothered going out into the lounge room to find another.

I read the first sentence in the book,
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear"
I put it back on the night stand, turned off the lamp and lay down in disgust. The book was a disappointment and I settled down to sleep. Shortly before I fell asleep I heard a girls voice squeal. It was a squeal of anticipation and seemed to come from the wall behind me. I thought,

"That's weird a child out in the backyard of my neighbours house at this time of night." It was about 9pm and the weather was freezing. But I thought no more about it and fell into a dreamless sleep. The phrase I had read going around in my head. "When the studemt is ready, the Teacher will appear"

I had made no sense of it at all. What student, what teacher?

Sometime in the night the power went off and I was woken by the blinking of the bedside radio flashing 00.00. It lay to my left and I looked at it. The curtains in the bedroom were white and by the light in the room I could see they were moving, undualting, just gently. Me and my logical brain thought, must be rippling from the heating. But I had turned the heating off.

I leaned across the bed and Dared the curtains to be moving, it was not possible. But they were. Mad, I thought. I'm going bonkers and lay on my right so as not to see them or the blinking radio lights. I punched my pillow in frustration as usually if woken I can never ever go back to sleep. I'm one of the no noise, no light type of people. The room was now in total darkness to me, but I was agitated.

I dragged myself out of bed and put on a warm dressing gown. Entering the kitchen in the dark quiet house I felt weird, cold a little but this was something else. I made a cup of tea and sat gloomily at the bench sipping it. My oldest daughter had bought a neon lit arched mirror. It was hung to one side of the family room. I sat at the bench and stared through to the darkened family room. The neon light shone in a line across the ceiling.

Sudddenly as I stared at the blue line, it gently began to break up into a soft pattern of three smaller lines, pulsing gently. I thought again I was seeing things and watched it carefully, yes still breaking up into 3. I knew then something was happening but I had no idea what.

I wasn't scared, well maybe a little but it was more a feeling of anticipation. Whatever was going to happen was going to happen and I couldn't stop it. I took a deep breath and returned to my room.

And in the early hours again I was woken and Lauren was standing there at the left hand corner of my bed. Her smile lit the room, she was beaming. So happy and I felt her happiness come across to me in a warm wave.  She spoke without uttering a word through her lips,

"I'm so happy Mum ", she said in her (thought waves) but I could hear it, I know I could, I'm so rational.

"Look at me . I'm not fat any more" and she slapped her left thigh.

It was true she was tall, dark and slim, her hair was darker too and hung to her waist in a waterfall of dark colour.

I said,
"We're so sad because you don't see Kyle anymore"

She replied.
"I see him all the time and he's beautiful ! And you are to take care of him for me "

I went on,
"We're so scared as we don't have a Dad any more. " Meaning her Dad, my ex husband.

She said, and these are her exact words.

"You and Dad were on different paths in life, you were never ever meant to be together , You are going to be fine, you are going to be better than fine !"

She beamed once more and repeated,
"I'm so very happy Mum " and it seemed like a golden light lit her from the back. The last thing she said was,

"Write, you are to write"
And I said,
What ? like letters? "
She said ,
"No not letters, you are to just write"

And she was gone, the last word fading and I strained to hear,
"Write"

I immediately went to sleep and woke up the next morning like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt happy and content and almost like laughing. I was scared to tell the girls as I thought they would think I was crazy, but I couldn't help myself. I just blurted it all out and didn't care if they thought I was nuts.

Mara said immediately that when she slept in the family room on the couch the lights clicked on and off by themselves. She heard it, felt it, when she was half awake.

Lauren's ashes were in my dressing room. That night Yvette went in there to pinch a top of mine. She turned the switch off and it stayed on, she made it to the kitchen in a single bound, stammering as she spoke.

"Lauren's in the dressing room, ", she finally was able to manage to say, her teeth chattering.

I rang a girlfriend the next day. She had just come into my life and we were good friends immediately and she was spiritual. which at that time I didn't want to hear.

I madly told her my news quickly and she hesitated for one second.

"Did she look older "

"Yes"

"She;s come back to show you what she would look like as an adult"

And that was exactly what she looked like. It was Lauren but she looked about twenty One.

I would have been the first person then to say I was a cynic and I didn't believe in such things. Would not, could not, I have always been rational, scientific and this was beyond all my comprehension. But I know I saw it and I know it was true. She was so happy and smiling, just like the Lauren of old. And wanted to comfort me.

My friend had said they are usually not allowed back so soon. Only if they felt an intense longing from the person, or the person was going through a lot of stress. That was me and I was so glad to have seen her.

I had only ever thought she was frightened and calling for me when she died and it saddened me immensely. I know now she was in a better place and that she was happy. The fact she smacked her hated little chubby girl thighs told me that.

And unbelievably, as I typed the last letter I just wrote on this story, the error message came up on my computer to say Send report and that always means the computer will crash down, and I saved and it didn't stop and crash. Miracles really do exist and I know there is a better place now, a place where we all go when we die and no one is ever going to change my mind on that .

Love Janette

Popular Posts