Forever Forty- Baby Boomers

Without Prejudice


Biba Fashion

Vivienne Westwood Dress

The term Baby Boomer Generation is a sociological term referring to the generation of people born during the post World War II period from 1946 thru 1964.

I am amongst the new generation of Forever Forty Baby Boomers. Baby Boomers refuse to get old, like sharing information and dress according to any style they like. In my Mothers Day women of a "certain age" dressed in a certain way. Twin sets, cardigans, natty suits and hats, gloves were de jour. Women looked older then than they do now.

Baby Boomers are confident, independent and self-reliant. This generation grew up in an era of reform and believe they can change the world. They questioned established authority systems and challenged the status quo. In the legal workplace, Baby Boomers are not afraid of confrontation and will not hesitate to challenge established practices.


Goal-Oriented: With increased educational and financial opportunities than previous generations, Baby Boomers are achievement-oriented, dedicated and career-focused. They welcome exciting, challenging projects and strive to make a difference.

Competitive: Since Baby Boomers equate work and position with self-worth, they are quite competitive in the workplace. They are clever, resourceful and strive to win. Boomers believe in hierarchal structure and rankism and may have a hard time adjusting to workplace flexibility trends. They believe in "face time" at the office and may fault younger generations for working remotely.

I was a teenager in the 60's and lucky enough to live in the UK for a few years when music and fashion exploded. We saw that we could protest things like the Vietnam War. Hippies came into being. The Beatles, Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan played on our record players. In the UK I could listen to Radio Caroline and watch TV in colour.

I remember JFK being shot and crying as my Dad was the same age, then Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy. I remember Watergate and Nixon and protest, a moratorium in the streets of Melbourne. I had all my children in the 70's and was married at 17 and became a Mother and a housewife, instantly it seems.

I loved Metallica, The Angels, Hunters and Collectors, Yazoo, Live Aid and have re discovered the Beatles with my Grand Daughter by watching "Across The Universe", just recently. She was surprised I knew all the words to all of their songs.

In the 60's I washed my Dads Bedford Van inside and out to afford a copy of Sergeant Peppers. And raced to the High street to make sure I had one of the first issues. I went to London to see Help!. I saw live Louis Armstrong, Shirley Bassey, Roy Orbison and Wilson Pickett. The Who, The Herd, Traffic and Manfred Mann.

Baby Boomers just refuse to think old, act old or dress old. Twiggy from the 60's has brought out a fashion range that includes skinny black jeans. Designer denim jeans have never been more popular. Women of a certain age now are busy having Brazilian waxes, whitening their teeth and having plastic surgery. They can afford it, but more than that they feel entitled to It.

Biba, Barbara Hulanicki is 75 and designing again for Georges at Azda, here is a little of what she had to say in 2008

Fashion is the first thing that grabs change, and it moves so fast, and some things disappear, and some things stay, but it usually takes on the mood of what's going on in the world. I'm not young any more, but my fashion dreams never stop. I'd love to do more clothes for the mass public, stuff that's affordable, that you don't feel guilty about.

As a tourist (I live in Miami) I get very excited by British high-street fashion. I love Topshop, and Jigsaw, which is great for an older woman. Some contemporary fashion is fantastic, but it's so weird - I mean, fashion shows are not for the public, and it's so diverse that I don't know how people my age keep up. I just stick to wearing black.


Women of a certain age do no longer wear "granny clothes", they are shopping in the High Street, streaking their hair different hues and getting tattoos. They have money and are determined to spend it. We have seen the rise of the Grey Nomads, The Grey Army and the parents spending their kids inheritances. Wealth only usually lasts 3 generations anyway, so why not spend it and have fun.

I've been half way around the world and intend to make New York my next destination, Italy when it's roasting hot and Vanuatu as it's just beautiful. I dress a certain way. I love black tights and heels, I love small prints and Audrey Hepburn style classics. I have my ears pierced and it hurt like hell and have a friend nearly 70, who has three. She likes to have small coloured stripes in her hair for fun.

I have had several lovers who were eons younger than me and loved every minute of it. I have no intention of "settling down" or conforimng. I have done my hard yards, been through the mill and all rhe other archaic sayings that mean I have had enough of that. I'm single and happily so. One of my daughters thinks I should "settle down", find someone to "take care" of me. Not a chance, my girl, not a chance.

I went to a health Resort last year and it changed my life for the better. I used to be a "People Pleaser", not any more. I've lost 24 kilos in that 12 months, gained 30,00 readers, worldwide on my Blogs and I haven't even warmed up yet.

I am writing this in QLD as I winter away from cold Melbourne. Usually I would never ever leave my grown daughters and grand kids and a new great grand kid this long. But I hate the cold and thought why not. I pay my rent and bills in Melbourne as they are very reasonable and come up here to the longed for warmth and Sun.

My girls are not girls but grown women and very happy in their lives. I had a Foster Daughter who turned out to be a great disappointment but if that is the only negative in my life I can live with that. My other girls refused to accept her anyway, so Que Sera Sera.

I'm a lucky Baby Boomer and I am going to be Forever Forty until the day I die. Enjoying the ride. Woo Hooo. S.G.G. See Granny Go. I've still got a long way to go to catch Twiggy or Lulu or Biba or Vivienne Westwood, may they go on forever.

Lots of Love

Janette

Popular Posts