Opportunity Knocks

Without Prejudice

I have been an op shopper since I was a young Mum with a limited amount of money. I always had to provide the housekeeping money from day one of being married. I went back to work when my first born was 6 weeks old and waited until I was 7 months pregnant with my 2nd before telling my Boss. We were poor and so I went op shopping. My Mum took me to my first and I was so snobby wouldn't even go in there with her. I thought only "poor people" shopped there and waited outside for her.

But once I had 3 kids I decided to venture in to one and that was a complete success. I bought my 4 year old some great shoes and a girlfriend commented on them. I was too ashamed at first to say where I had bought them but I then gave in, told her and now she is worse than me and she's a Millionairess. She and I often meet up in the same ones in Melbourne now, and just laugh when we do.

I have bought so many great classic design items it's not funny and I sell some or keep most. I buy Lisa Ho, Adele Palmer, Allanah Hill, George Gross, Wayne Cooper, Jag from the 80's, Cue from the 80's. I used to just buy a label but now buy good designer, Aussie, usually. I have a pair of Wayne Cooper heels I bought for $20 brand new. I buy retro and shabby chic furniture. My brass bed came from an Op Shop and that and the dressing table cost me $250. I buy retro kitchen items from the 50's mainly and 50's style dresses and jackets. I love the 50's era fashion.

I buy brand new shoes and old fashioned pumps, hats, gloves. lace, material and fashion them into something else. I buy kitchen clocks that appeal and old radios if they are about. Old fashioned games as well and old books and magazines. I have a recipe card set from the 70's and I buy prints for the wall. Lamps are a great buy and are usually only $5 or so. I've bought mixers that are old, sewing machine tables, chest of drawers that I age and sell. I love my Op shops and never disclose the good ones whereabouts. Only to my besties and only if they are keen op shoppers too.

I've bought hundreds of items over the years. People love nostalgia and they buy nostalgia all the time. I sold a foosball table, a 70's retro couch in velvet, which I thought was so ugly and sure enough someone bought it. I like old mirrors with bevelled edges from the Art Deco era, etched glass and chains on the back. I bought an old sunbeam mixmaster and toys from the 50's that sell well. Anything left over or not selling I take back to the op shops and I make sure I give back more modern stuff. Sometimes it's just one big recycling method as I take in "stuff" and buy more of what I want.

I love old fashioned belts, costume jewellery, handbags, dilly bags, crocheted, usually. Australiana tea towels which I adore with parakeets or galahs on them. Really kitchy stuff. I also love English clothes and crockery. I am a Magpie or a second Hand Rose I always was and I always will be. I love the history of something that was once loved. I love the feel and smell of soft materials and soft furnishings, the look of certain things that make me feel good or evoke a warm memory.

And it's time here in Queensland for me to go on the hunt once more for lovely old things that I can make beautiful once more............

Popular Posts